Deep blue sea rod

Started by JasonGotaProblem, February 06, 2022, 06:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Posting pics doesn't seem to be a thing anymore, but I'm still pretty happy with how this came out so far.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Sharkb8

Looks good you have improved a lot

Kim

Gfish

Whoa dude, nice!
Some creative artistic folks here.
Do you find yourself being extra cautious while fishing such creations?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Gfish on February 06, 2022, 03:34:30 PM
Whoa dude, nice!
Some creative artistic folks here.
Do you find yourself being extra cautious while fishing such creations?
I haven't fished this one yet but for my others so far no, not at all. It's only a show pony on the work bench getting built. after that all my rods are treated as workhorses.

thorhammer

oldmanjoe

:o    Very well done ....          Those colors combinations really stand out .   Is that some blotting technique you use to get that pattern ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: thorhammer on February 07, 2022, 02:53:08 PM
Excellent.
Thank you. I'm learning from the best.
Quote from: oldmanjoe on February 08, 2022, 03:37:00 AM
:o    Very well done ....          Those colors combinations really stand out .   Is that some blotting technique you use to get that pattern ?
I'm basically putting down a coat of epoxy with a bit of base color mixed in then sprinkling dry mica powder on in a targettedly random way. Then clear coat and more sprinkling and clear coat again. I'm pretty happy with results. And as usual I have a few ideas for how to take it even further.
Here's another one I did in a similar style that I don't think I ever posted here.

JasonGotaProblem

The rod is finished. This was my first time doing double wraps. There's a bit of a learning curve there.

https://youtube.com/shorts/ITi2_728Ebk?feature=share

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on February 11, 2022, 11:50:54 AM
The rod is finished. This was my first time doing double wraps. There's a bit of a learning curve there.

https://youtube.com/shorts/ITi2_728Ebk?feature=share

Trying this again thanks to some help from wompus cat

steelfish

I liked it a lot, liking the color combination and marbling job, I still need to make me time to experiment with marbling.

whats the specs of the rod?  deep blue sea sounds like an offshore rod, is that correct? not many offshore rods use single leg guides, normally inshore rods are the ones with single leg guides but of course nothing is written down on stone, right?
The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: steelfish on February 11, 2022, 08:16:45 PM
I liked it a lot, liking the color combination and marbling job, I still need to make me time to experiment with marbling.

whats the specs of the rod?  deep blue sea sounds like an offshore rod, is that correct? not many offshore rods use single leg guides, normally inshore rods are the ones with single leg guides but of course nothing is written down on stone, right?
30-50# 1-6oz E-glass live bait rod listed as heavy action fast taper.

It is intended as an offshore rod, yes. Those singles  are fuji LDB guides. I ordered extra and did a torture test on one (I bent it) and the amount of force it took was remarkable compared to normal single footers. And they didn't feel any heavier than normal singles (though heavier than KT runners of equivalent size).

I guess we'll see. I can't claim to be speaking from experience here.

philaroman

beautiful...  no excessive stripper glitter...  seat right side up    ;) ;) ;)

Jeri

Next time you want a decoration challenge, look at doing all the same marbling that you have managed this time, and then a step further by marbling the actual whippings over the guides - making it look seamless is a rel challenge.................. :)

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on February 11, 2022, 08:37:26 PM
...Those singles  are fuji LDB guides. I ordered extra and did a torture test on one (I bent it) and the amount of force it took was remarkable compared to normal single footers.

I like that way of thinking, maybe because I was the same when going with single foot guides on my swimbait rod intended to be used as inshore casting rod, for running guides I used Fuji KB single foot which are pretty hard to bend, maybe harder than double foot guides of #6 size

I dont know if you ever saw this thread
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=33808.0

on another note, when I was using wood with V-cuts for the rod drier I put a strip of glued velcro tape all the way of the V-cut on the wood stand, that way you will never scratch or leave a mark on your blank for the 5hrs rotation on the same place of the blank.
The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: philaroman on February 12, 2022, 02:43:42 AM
beautiful...  no excessive stripper glitter...  seat right side up    ;) ;) ;)
Thank you. The trick is getting just the right amount of stripper glitter.
Quote from: Jeri on February 12, 2022, 07:22:43 AM
Next time you want a decoration challenge, look at doing all the same marbling that you have managed this time, and then a step further by marbling the actual whippings over the guides - making it look seamless is a rel challenge.................. :)
So you're saying marble the guides too and gradient it away? Challenge accepted.