Vintage Sears & Roebuck Ted Williams Sure Looks Like An Ambasssadeur

Started by Walleye Guy, February 07, 2022, 05:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walleye Guy

I came across this today and thought it looks just like an Ambassadeur.  Does anyone out there have any knowledge of it?  Can anyone confirm that Ambassadeur made this reel for Sears and it got resold under a different name?  Here is the link:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/175146450191?ViewItem=&item=175146450191

foakes

Sears never made any reels.

However, they contracted with other companies such as Shakespeare, Zangi, Alcedo, and others — to do trade reels with their name, or Ted Williams on the reels.

Without looking into this further — it could be an Ambassadeur — or more than likely, a Daiwa.

Others on our site will have more info for you.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

It was made by Daiwa. Basically the same reel as the Millionaire, made for TW under the Sears logo.

There's  an interesting story about how after Daiwa came out with the original Millionaire Len Borgstom went to Daiwa and took parts from a Millionaire and Ambassadeur, mixed them up and made two functioning reels. Daiwa's lawyers left the room and Daiwa made a couple of changes. They're still practically the same reel, though.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Walleye Guy

Thanks Fred and Tom, I wasn't aware of the history involving Daiwa and the Millionaire.  Very interesting indeed...

Breadfan

I have two 560 Ted Williams and they are not like that. Mine are millionaires as I have the exact same reel to the 560 and it's a 6H. I also have a few others and they all look like each other pretty much. That one looks really different. The thumb screws, the spool tensioner and the cast button are different.

Breadfan

oc1

Because it's a knock-off there is a slight chance you might find a replacement part for a Ted Williams reel.

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Wompus Cat

Quote from: MarkT on February 07, 2022, 08:03:27 PM
Quote from: Breadfan on February 07, 2022, 07:20:33 PM
Maybe I'm wrong. This one says it's made in Japan. Nice reel too.
https://www.etsy.com/il-en/listing/617106433/vintage-ted-williams-model-540-bait?show_sold_out_detail=1
Well of course, where were Daiwa's made?

JAPAN

A Couple of Daiwa Millionaires from the past.

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

tincanary

Quote from: Midway Tommy on February 07, 2022, 06:29:48 PM
It was made by Daiwa. Basically the same reel as the Millionaire, made for TW under the Sears logo.

There's  an interesting story about how after Daiwa came out with the original Millionaire Len Borgstom went to Daiwa and took parts from a Millionaire and Ambassadeur, mixed them up and made two functioning reels. Daiwa's lawyers left the room and Daiwa made a couple of changes. They're still practically the same reel, though.

That's a very interesting tidbit of history, thanks for sharing!

Breadfan

I love my Millionaires. I have three 6H models and I use them for surf fishing. Two of them are under the "Ted Williams" name have 560 on side plates. I actually (dare I say?) like them better than Abu 6500's. I fish mine hard on the beach and have yet to have any problems out of them. They have unintentionally landed some giant sting rays! You don't see many parts for them but working ugly ones come up from time to time for parts.

steelfish

Quote from: Midway Tommy on February 07, 2022, 06:29:48 PM

yep, thats correct.

I have the Ted W.  535 reel and searched for a bit of story when I got it, found out they are a replica of Daiwa millonaire reels, just different stickers  ;D ;D

nice little reel, I havent used it, tho.  I have too many on that size.
The Baja Guy

Squidder Bidder

This is interesting. Does anyone know when these reels were produced? Ted Williams must have done a bunch of licensing via Sears in the 1960s(?). I have had passed down to me a Ted Williams branded Winchester 120 pump shotgun from Sears - my recollection is that it was from the 1960s but I could be wrong. The soft case bears an impressed signature in gold. Is anyone aware of other sporting goods that Teddy Ballgame licensed with his name?

I had his book The Science of Hitting as a kid and it made me a big fan of an already long retired ball player.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Squidder Bidder on February 08, 2022, 09:59:05 PM
This is interesting. Does anyone know when these reels were produced? Ted Williams must have done a bunch of licensing via Sears in the 1960s(?). I have had passed down to me a Ted Williams branded Winchester 120 pump shotgun from Sears - my recollection is that it was from the 1960s but I could be wrong. The soft case bears an impressed signature in gold. Is anyone aware of other sporting goods that Teddy Ballgame licensed with his name?

I had his book The Science of Hitting as a kid and it made me a big fan of an already long retired ball player.

He developed, tested and endorsed much of Sears' sporting goods, equipment & supplies from 1960-1970. You'll find lots of Sears sporting goods items with his name attached.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Robert Janssen

Does anybody here happen to have a collection of the focused Sears The Fishing Equipment Catalog, issued from roughly 1967 onward?
Or, did Ted Williams issue any catalogs or lists of their own?
It seems that Southern Tackle was reponsible for part of the TW business. Did they have a brochure, list or catalog?