Penn GLD 30 Two Speed Question

Started by ijlal, January 28, 2012, 12:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ijlal

Alan,

I serviced my GLD 30 II yesterday, washing off most metal parts with kero, drying and then applying Penn grease (Cal's on the drag washer and the spool side that holds the drag washer, broke the seals of bearings and stuffed with grease. Changed the belleville configuration from |()() to |(()). Everything's fine except the handle suddenly seems have much more (reverse) play.

I know it's a stupid question, but is it possible this is because of the change in configuration of the bellevilles? Everything else is as before...

Thanks!
I live 'fishing'!

alantani

normally, no.  any possibility that you are now working off of one anti-reverse dog instead of two?  that would double the amount of backwards travel before a dog would catch. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ijlal

Everything seemed fine while putting back the side plate, but I'll recheck!

Thanks!
I live 'fishing'!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ijlal

Thank you  :o

It's 6 am here... off to sleep now! :)

Have a nice evening!
I live 'fishing'!

ijlal

Hi Alan,

Hope you are doing good!

I just opened my GLD-30-II, as the drag was becoming sticky, to clean and re-grease the washer, but try as much as I could, I just cannot turn the plastic cap shielding the drag washer... and, yes I was opening it in the right direction. Any suggestions? I don't think I'll be able to find any special tool for the purpose over here, but I am sure you would know a special trick that would do the job.

Waiting for your reply....

Thanks!
I live 'fishing'!

akfish

The only way I can get the drag cover off when it is stuck is to hit it at an angle with a rubber mallet to jar it loose. That usually works. As for the handle play: Look very carefully to make sure both dogs and both dog springs are arranged correctly. I suspect Alan's suggestion is correct -- you are working off just one dog -- but it may not look like that if both dogs are installed correctly.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

ijlal

Thanks akfish!

Tried something similar, hit lightly with screwdriver at different places and stopped short of destroying the whole part  :P It didn't budge...  :(  Found water inside so simply used a hair dryer to dry the water inside and refitted the reel as I have to head offshore in a few hours... a fuller service will have to wait until I get a rubber mallet or some other tool to open the cover. With the water out, the drag is much better now.

.... the dog thing is an old story.... checked the the dogs are installed properly... maybe it was just a feeling that the play had increased... got used to it long ago...
I live 'fishing'!

day0ne

I have had to use a strap wrench on some of my TLD's if I couldn't find the correct wrench. A strap wrench can be very handy when working on some reels
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter