River Monsters Reel ID

Started by nelz, February 08, 2022, 04:06:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

This is a screen capture from Youtube video "The BIGGEST Arapaima Jeremy Wade Has EVER Caught". Anybody know what reel this is?

Wompus Cat

MIGHT BE A
Shimano Tyrnos 30 2-speed
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

nelz

Thanks Whalebreath, you nailed it! I'd never heard of a Policansky until now. Learned something new today.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

alantani

oc1

This place has everything.  I never heard of them either.

You have to admit, Wade is a tackle nut.  It seems like he never uses the same rig twice.  I guess tackle companies will give him whatever he wants at this point.

Wompus Cat

Looks like they are Victims of another BUY OUT demise and won't be making them anymore  :(

Look like Well Built Reels
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Glos

Wade irritates me. Mostly when I see him release a big fish in an environment where it could feed the people.
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

MarkT

Well, he has to really hunt to find a big fish because people have mostly eaten them all!  By and large he uses low end gear that I would never fish for biggun's with!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

nelz

After reading up, looks like these Policansky reels are reversible left/right. Not surprising since I noticed Wade uses lefty reels most of the time. He's got another video fishing for Barramundi using (a lefty) Daiwa Blue Backer, one of my personal favorites. Never ever seen anyone using that reel before except for me, lol, It's a JDM.

Btw, on the releases, maybe he's not licensed to keep in those places since he's not a resident? Also, I can tell you that there are very strict regulations on the Arapaima fish in Brazil, the season is only open for a very brief time even for the natives. They are an endangered species.

Glos

Quote from: MarkT on February 08, 2022, 02:41:05 PM
Well, he has to really hunt to find a big fish because people have mostly eaten them all!  By and large he uses low end gear that I would never fish for biggun's with!
He does, gets it wrong with gear most of the time. And it is not even upper end.

@ netz, I really hope so, to be the main reason for releases.
I have seen him too many times releasing it with onlookers confused, and I am sure swearing him later, rightly so, if he does just to film it, brag and avoid rich country fishermen scourge if it was not done like that.
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Glos on February 08, 2022, 06:49:49 PM
Quote from: MarkT on February 08, 2022, 02:41:05 PM
He does, gets it wrong with gear most of the time. And it is not even upper end.

@ netz, I really hope so, to be the main reason for releases.
I have seen him too many times releasing it with onlookers confused, and I am sure swearing him later, rightly so, if he does just to film it, brag and avoid rich country fishermen scourge if it was not done like that.

Have you ever considered that possibly he & his staff are well aware that if you release the BIG FISH that genetics of those biggies will help produce additional strong lines of the species? Most in the know fishery conservationists release the big ones to continue to reproduce and keep smaller fish to eat.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

alantani

I figured that the very first photo was just reversed.  I dunno.  Maybe the guy has a dimple on one side of his face so we could tell. No matter.  It's impossible to tell from the video if he has even the most rudimentary level of fishing skill. Now, the reel, on the other hand, has me very interested....🤔