What can I learn with the Grommit?

Started by gstours, February 09, 2022, 01:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Ive seen these barrel roll things before and thought it might improve the line knot strengt.   It seems to me that the knot is affected first and then th chafe is secondary and this is the possible only benefit to the knot?   it seems like a good idea and money well spent.?     I,m here talking about a grovved bushing around a round wire ring,     like fore dropping a jig ,    oar your wallet. :o

jurelometer

If you  are just starting out in surfing,  there isn't much choice but to learn with  the grommets.  :D.

Sorry...

I think you are referring to thimbles.   I thought that they were just used  to keep multistrand wire loops from sawing through stuff, but I see that they make them for mono too.  I am also curious as to when and where folks use them.

The main idea is  chafe protection, but you also keep the end of the loop at larger diameter under load, which weakens the line less.  I would expect that thimbles don't let  the hook or terminal tackle swing as freely as  rings or naked loops. I  would expect that even with mono, you would  still need to crimp the line so that the thimble does not pop out.  It would be hard to get a knot in heavy mono to reliably snug up a thimble.  But this is just a guess.

-J

Benni3

I was confused at first,,,,, :-\ thimble with poachers noose knot or haywire twist,,,with chafe tube,,,,,,,,, ;D

gstours

Of course a photo might have helped me ask this question.   Butt i have issues with some of my de-vices. >:(

To me this is a grommet,   and while preventing chafe in my pull tests it doesent add any strength to my knots of favor.   It is available in several configerations.
  The thimble is easy to add to some terminal gear as well,  and maybe more versitile overall.    Each may have a place and a follower.
      Ive used the thimble with Braid mostly and have confidence in it for preventing chafe to bottom contacting.   
I would have thought the larger radius of the line would improve the strength butt the knot itself seems to be the thing that breaks in my extreme ratcheting pull tests.    Butt it does prevent chafing......

gstours

The black ones pictured here are made of Delrin and do split in half at about 50-60#.   The brass one is pretty much bulletproof. ;)
   The swiveled one is rated for 120#  Butt if the Delrin fails first??????? :'(

Hardy Boy

My commercial salmon troller buddy used metal (copper or brass ??) ones for years. He tied on the end of leaders. They were then used on quick change wire snaps. he swore by them. He caught a lot of fish.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

MarkT

I've seen them used when rigging up trolling lures... they were crimped.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

jurelometer

Ooh, I didn't know there was such a thing as grommets in tackle.  I guess I'm the grommet grommet :)

It looks that the idea is the same as thimbles, but with a smaller profile. Unlike thimbles,   grommets have to be built into the ring or swivel when you buy them.   Delrin is not that much more abrasion resistant than nylon or fluoro mono leader, so I am not sure why Delrin is a good idea.

The way that I look at it, is that if you are knotting mono, you are better of tying to a solid ring instead of making  a loop and then having to protect the loop.   Ring to to ring/eye won't chafe, and will swing better.  It is only when you are crimping that you end up with a loop that might need to be protected by a thimble or grommet.

-J

boon

Essentially the same purpose as a thimble with lower bulk. First purpose, reduce chafing, second purpose, increase the radius of the knot part.

I use these on heavy jig sets, both with crimps and knots. Purely anecdotal but I have never busted one off, when something breaks it's always the PR knot to the leader.

gstours

Thanks for your experiences,  the grommet around a welded ring allows the ring to move freely and gives something to tie the line to with a fairly large radius.    The Thimble does this without the ring.
  I thought this would aid the knot in acheiving a higher breaking rating in my limited testing butt,   this has not for me been the case.
Both the grommet/thimble tested the same as a conventional swivel or hook tie.    At least for me.      ???

Dave?
Ring to to ring/eye won't chafe, and will swing better.  It is only when you are crimping that you end up with a loop that might need to be protected by a thimble or grommet.
  Are you here talking about an open loop that is being crimped?  if so how would the thimble/grommet help or work.   I dont understand the difference here between the crimp proctection and not a knot?    ???    Just wondering? :)

jurelometer

Quote from: gstours on February 10, 2022, 01:25:24 PM

Dave?
Ring to to ring/eye won't chafe, and will swing better.  It is only when you are crimping that you end up with a loop that might need to be protected by a thimble or grommet.
  Are you here talking about an open loop that is being crimped?  if so how would the thimble/grommet help or work.   I dont understand the difference here between the crimp proctection and not a knot?    ???    Just wondering? :)

The  grommet or thimble protects a loop.  If you are using crimps, you have no choice but to terminate with a loop, hence the the need for your grommet.  If you are not crimping, you can direct tie, or if you want some swing, tie tight to a ring where you would have used the grommet.   Improving the radius of the loop when  you are also knotting is not as beneficial, as  you are using knots that will have extremely tight radii.

You shouldn't get much if any chafing if you directly tie to a solid ring that is going to be doing all the swinging. With a loop to a a ring, both the loop and the ring may swing. 

Or at least, that is how I see it.

-J

boon

What line weight were you testing with?

UKChris1

I've played with those grommet-on-a-ring thingies for rigging big-game trolling lures on 2mm up to 2.3mm nylon mono. The leader is crimped to the plastic grommet ring, not the stainless ring.

To be honest, I think using flexible nylon chafe tube is easier and is certainly cheaper when making leader loops. The risk with the grommet is that you leave it too loose and risk a failure or pull it too tight whereupon when you crimp the sleeve you can easily over-stress the nylon and that results in a 'crotch break' failure.

Jim Fujitani

If you are using metal, the weak points will always be the knots you tie or the crimps you make, in mono, spectra, or wires.  Typically, knots are the weak point in standing lines.  Chafing tubes and springs will help keep pressure and heat away from mono and braid at connections.  And even good-looking well-prepped crimps can fail.