Banax OW 730/7300 basic maintenance tutorial

Started by Tile, January 28, 2012, 02:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tile

The reel in this tutorial is a Banax OW 7300 that I own for about 2 years. It was used mainly for distance casting and short trips to the Danube river.

To begin with the maintenance on the reel loosen the cast control cap

Detach the nonhandle side plate

Detach and lube the idler gear ( I added a washer to limit its axial play)

Lube the bearing

The clicker assembly is lubed

Add grease to the screw holes and lube the wormshaft gear

The nonhandle side is then reattached to the frame (the small screw goes on the 12 o'clock position)

Lube the wormshaft, unscrew the pawl cap, add oil to the pawl and put the pawl cap back on (do not overtighten the cap)

The handle nut cap and its screw is removed followed by the handle nut itself and the handle arm

The antilock spring comes off the handle shaft followed by the drag star and the belleviles (stock configuration si (()) )

Unscrewing the knurled screws allows the geartrain case to be detached from the frame

The handle side wormshaft bushing, the bronze bush and spool shaft are lubed and the screw holes get a bead of grease each

Removing the housing screws allows access to the geartrain, The old grease will be replaced.

The maingear shield comes off first followed by the main gear and drag stack assembly and the kick ratchet

Removing the e-clips (careful not to allow them to fly out) allows the yoke posts, jack and kick plate to be removed from the holder plate

The e-clip that holds the gear shaft to the holder plate is removed allowing the gear shaft and its bearing to be serviced

Grease the gear shaft bearing and mount the gear shaft to the holder plate

Put the bottom yoke post first followed by the kick lever and its spring and secure them with an e-clip

Attach the jack to its post and secure it with the e-clip, the other yoke post and its e-clip and slide the kick ratchet back on the gear shaft

Put the pinion, yoke, main gear and drag stack back and the yoke springs 

In solid fiberglass we trust

alantani

very nice!  with measurements for the drag washers, we can find a carbon fiber drag set to fit with probably no trouble.  i have something i'd like to ship out to you.  could you send me a pm with your address?  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tile

The reel resides on a 2,7 m solid fiberglass 2 piece rod which I bought for 10$.

wallacewt

interesting to say the least.rolled over level guide,steel end plates?frame?cant tell with the black paint,dont think its graphite ???20lb mono?yeah,good one tile

Tile

The frame, holder plate and sides are diecast aluminium. The sides are painted black and the frame is anodised black. The main line is 0,40 mm 40lb (20kg) mono. 

Tile

The reel got its carbonfiber drag washers and Cal's grease on them (thanks to Alan). The current drag stack is thinner than the original one and as I tightened the drag star the first set of belleviles was touching the edge of the antireverse bearing and making the reel hard to crank. I solved the problem by adding a small washer underneath the antireverse bearing inner tube and I gained about 2 mm of clearance.
The improvement over the original drag washers is massive. I went from a reel that had limited drag range to one that could compete with the others that I have: the Penn 220 GTO and the Abu Garcia Seven.

D impala95

Quote from: wallacewt on January 28, 2012, 11:19:42 PM
interesting to say the least.rolled over level guide,steel end plates?frame?cant tell with the black paint,dont think its graphite ???20lb mono?yeah,good one tile

Looks to be mostly aluminum castings.
I'm a trained killer.
It's killing time but please leave oversize sturgeon in the water.

Don Leitao

Tile

The framework is diecast aluminium (frame, holder plate and sides). All my multipliers are mounted on 2,7m  2 piece solid fiberglass rods and have mono on them and this greatly reduces the overall load on the reels when a large fish is hooked (a wels catfish).

Tile

The handle side bronze bush was replaced today with an SKF bearing.