Underspin Reels

Started by jgp12000, February 15, 2022, 02:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I have tried different brands of underspin reels over the years and like them for casting jigs and beetle spins, but it seems they don't last long or the retrieve isn't very smooth. I was looking at the new Pflueger President underspin with 5 BB and Daiwa XD40 is a front drag model 1BB. Then I saw a video of the ABU Garcia 706MK2 which I never heard of. They seem to only be available in UK and heavier than I am looking for? Has anyone ever tried these or have a preference with the President or Daiwa?

Gfish

Haven't tried any a those. If had to go with one one without knowing, I'd choose the Daiwa. Seems if you're willing to pay a little more, they have some nice reels.
I got a '59 Shakespeare under-spin style spincaster("Wondereel"). No push-button, it casts by moving the handle backwards quickly to retract the pin, as you hold the line with your forefinger on the hand gripping the rod.   
It has a plastic handle knob, and some felt drag washers, all the other parts are aluminum and steel. Works great and is as tough a spincaster as I have ever seen. Only negatives would be the weight and finding parts. Some models even come with levelwind capability.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

jgp12000

That sounds like a cool reel Greg!

happyhooker

Greg, what kinda Shaky have you got?  I have a 1725 "Punch Button" and a Johnson Fiskars 511; they are fun to play with but nothing super special as far as being user reels.  Some of those older Shakys are very interesting.

Frank

philaroman

methinks, Wondereels were favored by olden budget bait-drifters (Steelhead, etc.) -- not best for casting,
but good for INSTANTLY switching to hook-set while feeding out line (and, perfectly fine for a side-lob)

if you go modern, look for >1 ceramic pins (or, at least, SERIOUSLY coated)
plain steel pins get chewed up even by thin mono (braid DESTROYS them...  QUICKLY!!!)
that's how you get premature rough retrieve, when gears are still fine

also, "dual ceramic pins" is a fairly high-end feature...  less likely that the rest of the reel is crap

EDIT: one pin is OK if the reel is really tiny -- otherwise, you want 2 minimum

Midway Tommy

While there are quite a few I have never seen the innards of, the ones I've been into leave a lot to be desired with regards to their gear train quality.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

jgp12000

Yes Tommy I wish they would make a good one that is smooth, it really speeds up casting with jigs, no bail to open and close, the trigger feels more natural than a regular spincast does IMO

Gfish

Quote from: happyhooker on February 15, 2022, 10:39:09 PM
Greg, what kinda Shaky have you got?  I have a 1725 "Punch Button" and a Johnson Fiskars 511; they are fun to play with but nothing super special as far as being user reels.  Some of those older Shakys are very interesting.

Frank

It's a 1756. Must have been a real successful spincaster series(1700's)for the company. There's a lot of models. Push-button, punch-button, AR, no AR, most seem to have the top-cover drag, some the star-drag, at least one has both drags(dual drag) plus levelwind, etc, etc. check "da bay".

This one has a brass lookin pinion, aluminum main with a steel shaft and AR gear molded in. These older Shake's have one thing that could use some extra beef; the AR system. The one on my 2062 spinner and the 2–I've looked at on spincasters need better support to hold them in place. The place where they go through the gear-box, tends to wear before anything else which leads to-to much wiggle movement of the pawl.

Loaded mine with new 8lb. Mono and it casts great. As the mono get's less supple, I'll see. I've never had a spincaster that DIDN'T cast well when everything was right.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

jgp12000

I ordered the Daiwa XD40 (5.5 oz.)time will tell. I doubt it's built as good as your Shakes Greg. I been using Lucas reel oil on bearings lately, pretty slick.I may give it a dose. The Lucas oil made the Daiwa even smoother, today I caught a crappie, missed one, and a 2lb bass. It appears the bass are already bedding in the pond with the warm snap in GA.