Penn 430ss main gear

Started by Fishgolfman, February 15, 2022, 04:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishgolfman

The pinion gear of penn 430ss is the same as penn 714z. Will the penn 714z main gear work in penn 430ss?

JasonGotaProblem

Their oscillation mechanism is different. So it may make the reel spin but the spool likely won't go up and down. Also spacing between handle attachment and portion of the main gear contacting the pinion may also be different so the case may not close. I'm gonna say they're likely different enough to not work together.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

430SS & 714Z main gears will interchange.

The oscillation is the same and both work.

The problem — the A/R Dog assembly is different.  The 714Z has the traditional dog with a separate dog spring and the ratchet wheel attached to the main gear is flush to the main.

On a 430SS, the ratchet wheel is slightly set above the main — so that the friction-type dog ears have a place to be.

Gears work fine and even the 716 & 420 share the same as the 714 & 430SS.

But the dog will be problematic — anything can generally be adjusted to work — given the right amount of finesse, filing, making up springs, or high explosives...

If you let us know what you are trying to accomplish — maybe we could help with the right parts.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

PacRat

Fred, I have two (2) 430ss and they both have different AR designs. One is silent and the other is a spring/click type. Maybe I should go dig them out and check the serial numbers or date codes?? Well, I checked and both reels look identical from the outside. One is traditional click and the other is silent. When I find time I'll open them up as and get photos of the mains and interior housings. I would assume they must be different on the inner casting. Exteriors are identical.

Mike

foakes

Yeah, there are different transition versions, Mike —

The (3) reels I did swap fits in earlier today — had both types of A/R's.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

PacRat

It's odd that this isn't mentioned on the Mystic site. I looked there first then curiosity got the better of me and I had to peek under the hoods. The only differences I could see from this quick look were the cover plates (interior only), the main gears (as Fred described), and of course the AR dogs. The silent has the two ears that hug the ratchet and the 'clicky' one has a separate spring and a little foot riveted to the dog. The housings appear the same inside but I didn't do a full tear-down. **oops (third edit) the housings ARE different. The spring loaded AR is held onto the post with a screw while the silent AR dog floats on the post.

Here's the typical silent dog

Here's the traditional spring dog or click dog

The interior of the cover plates were different. Looks like radial ribs were added for strength

The silent AR is in back and the click AR is in front. They look identical from the outside other than fading and wear-and-tear.

I like the feel of the click dog better. It just feels more positive.

Mike