Teflon for Senators

Started by Mrfritz44, February 16, 2022, 12:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrfritz44

I have several Penn 114 Senators that I'd like to upgrade to Teflon washers, assuming they'll give me the smoothest drag action.   Where can I find those kits I remember you selling about 10 years ago?

Fred

foakes

Welcome, Fred!

Do you mean the drag stack itself — or the under gear washer?

The smoothest and most effective drags would be Carbontex or HT-100's (both are CF's) greased with Cal's drag grease.

For under-gear washers — either a hard Delrin washer, or a very lightly greased CF washer will do the trick.

This combo has proven to be the smoothest, most effective, and longest lasting we have used for Senators as well as most other Penn Conventionals.

There are sources on the site that have all of these drag variations.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Mrfritz44

I'd like to upgrade the drags or anything else based on the experiences here to ensure the reel doesn't stutter fighting tuna like it did this past summer..... open to suggestions.

Swami805

Check out smoothdrag on here, carbon fiber drags greased with cals drag grease.   top of the line
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Maxed Out

Quote from: Swami805 on February 16, 2022, 02:40:44 AM
Check out smoothdrag on here, carbon fiber drags greased with cals drag grease.   top of the line

Ditto, and Delrin friction washer with couple drops of oil. No more chatter !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

alantani

Quote from: Mrfritz44 on February 16, 2022, 12:00:59 AM
I have several Penn 114 Senators that I'd like to upgrade to Teflon washers, assuming they'll give me the smoothest drag action.   Where can I find those kits I remember you selling about 10 years ago?

Fred

fred, welcome! i personally would use all carbon fiber with cal's grease.  i would put a #6-114 under the main gear and a set of five #6-115's inside the main gear.  i believe that they will give you the smoothest drag over the widest range.  if you go with teflon, please swing back by here and let us know what you think.   thanks!!!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Mrfritz44

Thanks again all!

Alan,

If I have 3 114's and would like to upgrade then all,  can you please quote me a price for the components and oil mentioned here?

I defer to your expertise.

Fred

thorhammer

Fred, please clarify you have 114 (black) as you indicate, or 114H (red); Alan is speccing you 114H. The gears thus drag washers are different.

John

Mrfritz44

Sorry, 2 red and one black.

Fred

alantani

Mysticparts.com will be your best bet, but check your existing drag washers inside  the main gear first.  If the are ht-100 carbon fiber, then you are good. Just replace the hard fiber washers under the main gear with a #6-114. You can order a small tub of Cal's drag grease from mysticparts.com as well. And well to the rabbit hole!!! ;D ;D ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!