New bearing oil, has anyone tried this out? Deuthon Ultra Casting Lube

Started by wussero, February 19, 2022, 04:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

What Wompus Cat said. My immediate thinking of their claims was: "sounds great, but where's the beef."

Now that you're gonna try the stuff out, would like to hear what happens with it. Wondering if they're gonna include any detailed material data and/or maybe some cited literature tests from neutral persons, that could validate their claims, when it's sent?
Even something like this with 100% negative responses(and yes, spiced with speculation) can be a learning experience for us. Won't know anything for sure though until someone(you're elected!) tests it.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

jurelometer

Quote from: Glos on February 19, 2022, 06:16:51 PM
I was simply pointing out that low viscosity in one form doesn`t apply in another, form of lubricant.

Because when someone reads how lets say TSI 321, has very low viscosity, and as such is accepted and functional, many of the novices will not take into consideration that it is powder. And conclude that say Ow 10 motor oil is equally better - because it is thinner, than some other oils.

Btw, I tried using NLGI 00 lithium grease in reels, and it works like a charm, when reel is 2 thirds filed with it,         ..until the oil part in the grease, starts leaking out, from casing. .
As with all greases, oil slowly gets released, to perform the needed function.

Sorry, but I am confused by your terminology.  Viscosity is a measure a a fluid's resistance to flow.  A powder is not a fluid, and therefore has no viscosity. TSI is not a powder either. Nor is it a fluid once the solvent evaporates and the lubricating film is formed. 

If you are saying that  the slipperiness (contribution to the coefficient of friction)  of a liquid lubricant is NOT function of it's viscosity, then I agree wholeheartedly. However, conventional reel (not spinning) casting distance can end up being shortened from friction and/or by having to move a lubricant around that has a higher viscosity.

I suspect that this might just be a language/terminology  issue, and not a disagreement on how lubricants work.

I have never read that the lubricating oil has to separate from the grease in order to perform lubrication.  From what I have read, greases are formulated with some sort of chemistry that causes the thickener to temporarily  lessen in viscosity when under load (shear thinning), and that actual  separation of lubricant and thickener is  is considered a failure of the grease. I would appreciate any references to be better enlightened if I have this wrong.

-J

Glos

Ok, if its a powdery residue that is left after liquid transporter evaporates. Then it is fluid and as such has viscosity. I guess by the posts of tinsacaro very low viscosity.
If not, I don`t care any more.

Grease does release an oil and more of it ( grease ) you pour - use, the more of the oil will get out, be it under pressure, which is probably when it happens, or by itself. Grease is basically oil with a thickener, carrier, that leaks that carried oil, minimally, but does.
I wasn`t aware of that and made mistake.
The thing is, in small applied amounts it doesn't get noticed.
When reel casing is filled with it than it pours.

I forgot where I read it, but I know I did, and had that AHA moment.
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.