Cut it?

Started by Gfish, February 25, 2022, 08:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Got a 1oz. bottle of Corrosion Block's "reel fast" oil. Oh boy! It has "SUPER SLIP" technology👏🤪. Was thinkin bout cutting 1/2 of it with something that might make it a better ball-bearing and bushing lube. No experience with this, any recommendations?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

MarkT

Something called reel fast with super slip should be pretty thin, right... no?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Gfish

Naw. Seems to be about a standard viscosity lite oil, not quite lite enough for baitcast spool bearings, spinning— bail roller bearings, and such. Has all the usual unverifiable claims about being specially formulated for fishing reels. For all I know it's engine oil, put in a small container and rebranded🤔 at a sky-high price/volume😄. Choices are limited here.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

philaroman

if all you want is thin, synthetic sewing-machine oil
is prob. the thinnest good/affordable machine oil w/ no additives
that you can readily find, anywhere: hobby/fabric stores, Wally, etc.

jurelometer

Ooh,  it is a real lubricant company!  You beat the odds   :D

Here is the SDS:

https://www.learchem.com/files/msds/sds-reelfast-bulk-liquid-2016-ghs-rev-5-english.pdf

I am no chemist, but it looks like they are using naphtha to thin the oil.  When they make lubricating oil from dinosaur  juice,  they do something along the lines of distilling out separate components by varying the temperature, and then blend back at at a ratio that gets them the viscosity they want, or something like that.  Since naptha evaporates, I wonder if just pouring more naptha into the oil would thin it for very long.   There might have to be some more work to get the stuff to blend.  Probably easier to move on to a new lubricant.

Viscosity is pretty much the primary property of a lubricating oil.  I would be surprised if you could just muck with it outside of blending different viscosity oils from the same product line, but that is just a uneducated guess.  Curious if there up is a real chemist out there that can enlighten us.

-J