Penn fierce 5000 Crosswind block issue

Started by cranker789, February 27, 2022, 01:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cranker789

Hello all, new to the forum and servicing reels but really enjoying it so far. ran into a bit of an issue with the crosswind block with my fierce i 5000. After servicing the reel i put it back together and snapped the main gear after turning the handle. I thought i had not put the crosswind block on the gear correctly and thats why it snapped. now that i have the new main gear and im putting it together, the crosswind block is getting stuck at the top end on the crosswind gear. It doesn't seem to be the right fit, its too tight a fit between the gear and the block and its getting stuck at the top, not sure whats going on as it wasn't an issue at all before i took it apart. Thanks.

cranker789

Went ahead and got a new crosswind block and gear... hopefully the new parts will work smoothly together and ill be good to go.

Glos

I assume the crosswind block will turn out to be the faulty one.
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

cranker789

cranker789

Having another issue with this reel (Penn fierce 5000). The handle has some side to side play in it. A new handle assembly is $20 plus shipping so trying to avoid that, and not even sure it would fix the problem. I saw a solution online where the guy said to grind down the assembly's threaded rod and it will fit tight again. Is this a good idea? Any other solutions? It happens on both the left and right side.

handi2

Yes you can remove some of the threads.

You have to be very careful when assembling these reels. If you you don't get the crosswind block just right it will do it every time.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

cranker789

When you say remove threads, do you mean the whole rod and threads or just the threads around the rod? Yes I probably should have been more careful but it was fine for years before I took it apart, but the crosswind block ended up faulty out of nowhere. Strange actually.

cranker789

Just removed the rod and threads with a drill metal cut off wheel, and its working perfect, thanks.

Glos

Quote from: cranker789 on April 06, 2022, 01:24:16 AMWhen you say remove threads, do you mean the whole rod and threads or just the threads around the rod? Yes I probably should have been more careful but it was fine for years before I took it apart, but the crosswind gear ended up faulty out of nowhere. Strange actually.
That is the eternal mystery of new reels being broken, lesser, after taking them apart.
One would think if everything is returned in same and proper order, it will end up the same. But no sir, ooh no.
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.