"Frankenine" 2nd catch

Started by jgp12000, February 28, 2022, 02:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

1st for me, I caught a Kingfisher

Gfish

Cool! Were you able to land him. Caught a Western Grebe once. It was pretty hairy trying to grab it near the head. Thankfully the hook came right out from a soft part of the beak. Been waiting/dreading hooking onea those sea birds that dive after my trolled bait.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

jgp12000

Greg, actually it was in one wing, I got some video of him flying still hooked up,before I let him go,  too large to post. They are beautiful birds. I put a new battery in the fish feeder, the feed has even gone up $5/bag since last year, but the fish are really getting active with this warm snap.

thorhammer

As Chris will attest, pin-rigging for kings off the pier for any length of time will sooner or later have you reeling in a pelican....and they're not happy. I had a cormorant pick off my Redfin once, and we had a go-round. He drew blood on me but I liked that plug.

jgp12000

John, In GA we call Anhingas "Water Turkeys", similar to the Cormorants. I can't say here what I do to them...They like fish and so do I. These suckers go under water for several minutes and will come up 200 feet away.

Keta

It looks like a flying fish.

I've caught pelicans, bald eagles seagulls and boobies.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

philaroman

BIG!!! Blue Heron wouldn't let go of the trout 'til he was close enough
to get repeatedly smacked on the head w/ 5' Ugly UL

geese like carp-bait...  huge domestic males are the worst...  NASTY!!!

Quote from: jgp12000 on February 28, 2022, 04:03:16 PM
I can't say here what I do to them...

plop plop fizz fizz -- oh, what a release it is?

Brewcrafter

Have had my share of run ins with cormorants, pelicans, seagulls, sea lions, etc.  But the all-time one that really got my attention was bass fishing at dusk when I snagged a bat with my cast.... - john