Need Help Identifying This Part

Started by Walleye Guy, March 01, 2022, 01:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walleye Guy

I was looking through some extra Ambassadeur pasts over the weekend and I'm not sure what this part is (see attached picture) and was hoping someone could tell me.  It's chrome plated and about 1/2"-ish diameter with two little tangs that stick up.  I think it's for a later model handle and it somehow fits through the hole in the handle and works with the handle nut.  Can anyone tell me the part number, and/or a reel model so I can look up a schematic and the design intent of this part? 

Thanks in advance, all you guys are great and so helpful.

Gfish

Yeah, what is the purpose of that part? I have an early '60's 5000 that doesn't have it, and a '73 5000—that does...maybe some kinda thrust washer for the handle/handle nut?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Wompus Cat

I NEVER reuse those ,pain it the ARSE to install as the Handle nut is supose to thread over it me thinks or that's the way they have been on the ones I tore into.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

nelz

It's supposed to make the handle fit a little snugger.

Walleye Guy

Can one of you point me to a schematic that shows the part?

Gfish

Google "Abu Ambassadeur 5000 schematic" the first 2 choices will work. You may need the # on the foot of the reel. If you need to see where it goes, it might be difficult. 1) handle, 2) screw with the oil hole in it, 3) the part—called a shim washer? 4) handle nut.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Walleye Guy

I just checked about 20-25 schematics and struck out.  I also searched Ebay under "Garcia Handle Retainer", "Abu Handle", etc and didn't see a picture of it either. 

nelz

Walleye Guy

nelz, thank-you.  I do believe you're correct about P/N 5193 (ie poor resolution).  I'm not sure where you came up with that schematic but I don't have it so I saved a copy.  Does anyone know approximately when this part came into service?  I have a few reels from the 60's that don't have it and a few reels from the 70's of which some have it but some do not. 

Gfish

Yeah, thanks nelz. Man, my memory... looks like I reversed the order of the screw and that shim. Weird design, can't see the reasoning.

nelz

Hey, that's what we do here.  ;D  Someone did the same for me a few days ago with a Shimano schem that I had given up on finding.

Walleye Guy

Over the weekend I came across this link and found the attached picture at the very bottom.  The picture shows the two tangs going into the nut but I would have guessed that the two tangs would have protruded into the handle to remove slop between the driveshaft and handle.  Any thoughts on the orientation?

https://gaspinggurami.wordpress.com/2013/06/24/servicing-july-1975-abu-ambassadeur-5000/

Walleye Guy

Update: nelz, check out this schematic that I ran across in my searching.  Now that I found this, I think 5193 is the tiny shim washer that mounted on the end of the driveshaft and was used on the early reels (50's - early 60's) to eliminate lateral play in the handle and 3936 is the "handle lock".

foakes

It also protects the anodization from scratches on the colored handle —- when the crank nut is torqued in place.

Best,Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Walleye Guy