Penn 722z. When reeling fast, the handle hits the bail.

Started by Fishgolfman, March 02, 2022, 01:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishgolfman

It is intermittent. What could be the problem? Bent bail or handle! Or shaft bent?

Midway Tommy

It's usually a bent or out of alignment bail but it could be a combination of the bail and a slight bend in the handle. You can usually tell if the handle has any bend. Bails are a little tougher to figure out just where the bend/culprit is if it isn't obvious. Post a couple photos, especially one showing how/where/when the bail hits the handle. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Fishgolfman

Pictures enclosed. The spool shaft is good and true. The handle is true as i switched between a 720z and no issue. Thus the bail. I have a few bails parts that i can try.

Glos

The handle itself might be straight, but the bearing or whatever is in the housing, together with housing protrusion ( for the handle )  itself, might not.
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

mo65

Check to see if the handle washer is in place...I've found most handle banging to be caused by a missing washer. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

There are 3 or 4 methods to fix this quickly — and they are all easy.

But — a warning to not bend the aluminum handle too much.  It is likely straight from your photos, anyway.

You will know when you have bent the gold anodized aluminum crank handle too far — it snaps in two — causing a $20 replacement.

Various Easy fixes:

Install a metal washer between the crank attachment hub and the main gear axle protrusion — 3/32" will do it.

Using a smooth-jawed wrench or pliers — just bend the bail mount back towards the rotor 3/32".  Do this with everything tight and in place.  It is just a minor adjustment — and always works.  Don't go too far — since you do not want to mess up your proper and even line-lay.

Check to make sure the bail trip lever inside the rotor is not bent downwards — or has a loose screw.  If it is bent downwards — just bend it back into place after tightening the attachment screw inside the rotor.

Generally, these are the issues with open-faced spinning reels 90% of the time.  Occasionally, it will be something deeper, or more technical — but usually these will work.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Glos

The fact that it hits the bail only at high speed retrieve, makes me think it is not up to the bail, arm or wire, problem. Because it would be the issue even at slow retrieve.
At high speed equals ( at ) high pressure, which then forces the handle into the bail.
But we will see.
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

Midway Tommy

The handle in the first and last first and last photos appear to me to be leaning in towards the reel. It sure looks to me like the shaft is bent slightly inwards. It doesn't  take very much to make contact. It will be interesting to hear if that washer Mike mentioned is in there.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Fishgolfman

Many thanks. I think Fred solution of adding a 3/32 washer. The 722 handle is missing the internal handle washer. It has the cosmetic shield washer but not internal handle washer.

Fishgolfman

Went to hardware store and for 15 cents a 3/32 washer fixed the touching on the bail. Thanks

Gfish

That would be my preferred fix. I'd prolly over-bend, or break something. I have a couple of spinners with very slightly bent handles—sleeping dogs, left to lay.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Fishgolfman

foakes

Mike is pretty sharp about these reels —

I was typing — as Mike was posting about the washer.

Always look for the simplest solution first — plus knowing what gets messed up generally on Spinners — also helps.

Occam's Razor —

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.