My first BFS build

Started by JasonGotaProblem, March 02, 2022, 07:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

In pursuit of random challenges, I've decided to build a BFS rod to pair with the BFS mods I'm gonna do to an abu black max. Now I've gone on record as saying that "BFS" stands for Baitcaster Flyrod Spending$" so I wanted to try my hand at a budget build. So i went to Wal-Mart and got a $10 "ozark trail wayfarer" spinning COMBO that I stripped and flipped. The rod is rated for throwing 1/16th oz, and with how whippy of a noodle this thing is, I'll believe it.

I used a fuji sz16 deluxe trigger seat that I got on sale, with the fuji sliding cork foregrip that I had leftover from a different project. I used a KW sz 12 an L series 8 and 9 L series sz5 runners. I think I have about $35 in this thing total.

This was also my first rod where I payed with using silver leaf under the marbling, and I love the result. Now I just gotta build the reel to test it out.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

steelfish

looks pretty cool and its so nice for a $35 cost, I was like you at the beginning, its nice to be able to strip a cheap rod and transform it into a beauty (I have around 5 factory rods that I rebuilt for my use), but still the blank is a cheap one and the feel from it wont be stellar, nothing wrong with that depending on the intended use for it, I think you are now on a perfect time to spend a bit more in the blank because is the soul of the rod, there are some budget blanks but a lot better than wally word rods,  as rainshadow, some from Pacbays, etc.

The Baja Guy

Swami805

Love that dark blue.  Is that regular nylon thread with no color preserver?  Looks a little translucent
Do what you can with that you have where you are

JasonGotaProblem

Well it works. I've finally landed a fish on a baitcaster. And my favorite type of fish at that! I didnt need my tape measure to know he was undersized, but on this noodle of a rod it was still a ton of fun!

Reel is an abu black max with the BFS spool and 20# braid.

steelfish

congrats for your 1st catch on a BFS

what lure weight did you use?
The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: steelfish on March 11, 2022, 06:29:01 PMcongrats for your 1st catch on a BFS

what lure weight did you use?
Thank you. I used a small shrimp. Not necessarily a BFS approach but on a whim I grabbed that rod instead of a spinner just for the heck of it. I'm pretty happy with the casting.