Penn 350 Level Line problem

Started by Wayne B., March 02, 2022, 07:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne B.

I have a Penn 350 that "lopes" once per handle rotation whether the reel is in gear or not. This happens with the scroll is installed or not. Any suggestions?

Gfish

Hi Wayne. I had one of these unique levelwinder Penn's. Seemed to be one of the toughest levelwind mechanisms I've ever seen.1 suggestion; define "lopes" and "scroll".
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Wayne B.

Lope - hits resistance making the handle rotation not smooth
Scroll - the fancy rotating piece on the 350 that turns as you retrieve to create the level-line

Thanks for your reply!

RowdyW

It sounds like a piece of grit between the teeth or damage to the pinion gear. Try cleaning the main & pinion gear & give the reel a through cleaning & service.         Rudy

Wayne B.

Wayne B.

Quote from: RowdyW on March 02, 2022, 08:48:17 PMIt sounds like a piece of grit between the teeth or damage to the pinion gear. Try cleaning the main & pinion gear & give the reel a through cleaning & service.         Rudy

Rudy, there was some build-up of old hardened grease between two teeth on the main gear. Cleaned it out and works fine!