716z handle. Re-bending

Started by Fishgolfman, March 06, 2022, 01:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishgolfman

Flea market find. Both shaft and handle bent. I have another 716 shaft but finding a handle expensive. Posting a picture of the bent handle. Use heat to rebend?? Btw how does someone bend both shaft and handle? Big fish??

Glos

That is why material for handle has to be brittle, like zinc. There are many cases when those bend just a little bit and you don't even see it, but it is malfunctioning.
It has to be either exactly the same or broken.
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

Midway Tommy

If it were mine I would warm it up with a hair dryer or heat gun, lay it on a block of wood with the concave side down and with a block of wood on top and a hammer tap it down until it's straight. It's not difficult if you do it that way a little at a time. You could also start the process using the wood blocks on both sides and a strong C-clamp and then go to the hammer & blocks to finish it up. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

About half the attempts to straighten these cranks work for me.

But sometimes — even with a torch, vise, and removing the plastic knob —- they snap in two, or develop an obvious stress point that I don't trust.

But it is always worth a shot.  And it may bend back OK — but look ugly.  Or maybe be just fine. If fishing it myself — I would not mind.  If doing it for a client —- it would get a new handle, because I would not want them to have an issue when fishing.

I generally install a new crank —- if not completely confident in the result after attempting a re-bend job.

If you get stuck —- here is a new crank assembly.  $25.

Or I can just sell you the new shaft without the knob, screw, attachment hub, and top thumb nut —- for $19.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Fishgolfman

Thanks Fred. Know if i try and break it.    It can be saved?and fixed

foakes

Yes, it is generally saveable.

Patience & a plan using a couple of blocks of wood in a vise will work.

It helps to rout a groove on one of the blocks of wood so that the handle will stay in place —- and not turn sideways —- when the vise is tightened.

Really worth a shot —- nothing to lose.

Let us know how you do.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Fishgolfman

Well the drama on 716z continues. The stem on body is bent as well. I only noted the bent handle and shaft initially. Btw I re-bent handle.  See pics of straight handle. Now the body? What do i do to rebend???

foakes

Those stands on the frame are generally good for (1) twist back to square.

It helps to be slow and careful.

I clamp the stand in a vise with wood-faced jaws — then slowly (a bit at a time] —- twist the body/frame back to square.

Not too fast —- or too far —- just up to the point where the stand is aligned with the reel frame.  Don't want to go back and forth.

Shouldn't be an issue.

I do have a frame — but they are rare and pricey.

You might check the bail when you are finished with the foot.

I think an ice chest, or heavy tackle box slid into this reel in a boat or in the bed of a pickup.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Glos

It helps to heat it up before straightening.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Glos on March 07, 2022, 06:46:58 AMIt helps to heat it up before straightening.

Too hot & the paint will bubble & peel.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Glos

In moderation, as someone said, heat gun or similar.