Daiwa Silver/Goldcast series

Started by jgp12000, March 06, 2022, 04:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

In my early years I primarily fished with spincast reels and have 2 that have sentimental value. A classmate and I bought identical  Silvercast 210RL reels  when we got our 1st paycheck just out of high school.We worked as painters helpers spackling,sanding,& cleaning brushes were our primary duties.That saturday we went to a pay catfish pond,I think they would bite a bare hook given the chance,I even caught one on a cigarette butt someone had field stripped.
We caught what we could afford and cooked them later that night with our girlfriends then, still married 40 years ago. The Goldcast GC100 was acquired during a givaway at the bank my mother worked at. It was one of the items you could pick as one of her prizes,she let me pick one.The Goldcast was my nicest reel back then,but I no longer use it.I just got it down from the shop attic to service.I was curious if anyone here has any, or still uses these guys?

happyhooker

Old Silvercasts are fairly highly regarded as spincast reels go.  I have a 206 RL and a 212 RL.  The later is spooled up w/ 12 lb. test & I use it for carp & buffalo.  The 212 is marked "Seiko" and is from Japan; I believe some of the later versions came from Korea.  Metal body & front cap ("bell"); the push button is plastic and a bit fragile.  As you might guess from the "RL", these reels can be switched between R and L hand crank, which is a plus for me as I like to cast with the R arm and crank w/ the L hand.

Frank

jgp12000

I have never fished a spincast that way ,but I do prefer to set the hook with my right hand as on a spinner.I may try that. Also, I have a tendency to reel too fast with my right hand. I think using my left hand slows my retrieve giving the fish more time to study the bait?