Under wraps

Started by Bill B, March 07, 2022, 07:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Question for the rod builders.  I'm in the process of rewrapping a 7' Californian rod rated 30-50lb.  It has 9+1 guides.  Originally there were no under wraps on the guides, but as I peeled off the old expoxy and thread it has left the rod pretty ugly underneath. My question....will adding under wraps greatly affect the rod action? Another question would the under wraps actually add strength (backbone) and allow the rod to be fished heavier? I will be using it for dropper loop and yo-yo fishing so finesse is not a worry.  Thanks in advance....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

54bullseye

I wouldn't own a bigger rod that didn't have under wraps !!!!  John Taylor

Glos

Quote from: 54bullseye on March 07, 2022, 08:09:40 PMI wouldn't own a bigger rod that didn't have under wraps !!!!  John Taylor
I said it on Stripersonline. It`s like having a shoes with no socks..
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

sabaman1

The old sabre sglass Californians were a more economy built rod. It was a thin wall glass but very longitudinally strong rod, therefore lighter in weight. So being economy they saved on just a single wrap for the most part. I would definitely run some underwraps on a rod with that action, probably size a or c thread though. The older fibreglass rods were designed to have an underwrap to protect the blank especially with the older style chrome or stainless guides. Pressure generated on the guide under a heavy load could cause the foot to dig into rod at the outward tips of the guides setting on blank. Underwraps also give the rod a very nice custom look. Have fun building your rod there are so many new colors of thread and guides to choose from!
JIM

steelfish

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on March 07, 2022, 07:26:02 PM...will adding under wraps greatly affect the rod action? Another question would the under wraps actually add strength (backbone) and allow the rod to be fished heavier? I will be using it for dropper loop and yo-yo fishing so finesse is not a worry.  Thanks in advance....Bill

if rod action and rod weight its not a problem then go for it, with more thread and epoxy on the blank you will feel the rod more firm and bit heavier, but that dont give any additional strength to the blank, it will look and feel better in your hands and also it will more protected against boat rash and deep scratches but thats all, in my book it worth the time and cost to put underwraps in those kind of rods.
The Baja Guy

Brewcrafter

Looking forward to seeing how this one comes out!  It sounds cool! - john

oldmanjoe

:)   Underware ,i mean under wraps are the way to go . One of the nieces part of underwraps is the ease of changing a guide in the future when some one rebuilds your rod to keep some old and some new .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

I used to think that under wraps were basically 2 layers over the guide feet. Guess i shoulda looked at the first word of the name...

Also I can't help feeling like guides digging into the blank are a lesser concern if you're not grinding the point of the guide foot?

Conversely to what Joe is saying, the worst part is when you wanna move the guides and you gotta cut off the under wrap too!
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Bill B

Thanks everyone.....looks like under wraps it is!  Bill

sabaman1

Quote from: sabaman1 on March 09, 2022, 04:33:30 AM
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on March 08, 2022, 03:22:44 PMI used to think that under wraps were basically 2 layers over the guide feet. Guess i shoulda looked at the first word of the name...

Also I can't help feeling like guides digging into the blank are a lesser concern if you're not grinding the point of the guide foot?                                                                                         

Fishing the California coast I've seen a few rods in my time especially factory wraps break
right on a guide. Sometimes spline is usually off when it happens, another factory mistake. It happens at times and its a terrible sound when it does. OUCH!!!
JIM

Bill B

Here is the under wrap. My attempt (bottom) to copy an old Penn Californian (top). Not as good as some of our members, but it will fish!  Bill

steelfish

The Baja Guy

sabaman1

Your on the way to a nice custom build. Very nice clean job Bill!
JIM

Donnyboat

Good Bill, thats a lot better than my first try , looking good, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Glos

My favorite color Bili. Once I bought a rod just because it was deep red.
When on rod - reel, it shines.
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.