Lawn Mower won't shut off

Started by jgp12000, March 09, 2022, 03:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

Last year I posted about this old snapper I got 38 years ago when we 1st got married. I put a carb on it last year
and use it to cut around the dock. It will shut off with the bail handle, but not with the throttle? I suspect the linkage/kill switch?

MarkT

I thought you shut off the old mowers by basically grounding the spark plug or remove the wire.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Wompus Cat

Pretty sure that is the design UNLESS there is a Stop Engine indicator on Your Throttle.
If there is then you need to adjust the cable when it is in Stop position so the Metal will touch the lil Brass Thing.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

jgp12000

This one normally shuts off with the throttle cable, my next question is where is this brass thing u speak of Mr. Henry. I have cleaned it with Gunk engine cleaner, but I haven't worked on push mowers much, never had to. I need to examine it closer with the throttle in the stop position, and maybe I will see the shutoff?
If someone can edit the photo with an arrow pointing to the shutoff to make it idiot proof...Is this the shutoff?

oldmanjoe

The switch is just right of the carb , two white are going to yours .  Normally it is just one wire that shorts out the magnato .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wompus Cat

Quote from: jgp12000 on March 09, 2022, 04:19:02 PMThis one normally shuts off with the throttle cable, my next question is where is this brass thing u speak of Mr. Henry. I have cleaned it with Gunk engine cleaner, but I haven't worked on push mowers much, never had to. I need to examine it closer with the throttle in the stop position, and maybe I will see the shutoff?
If someone can edit the photo with an arrow pointing to the shutoff to make it idiot proof...Is this the shutoff?

Well that is the Brass thingy or chrome a ma jiggy whatever the case may be and if you have two wires then one should go to the handle kill and da udder to the throttle  stop position  .

jgp12000

Gfish

Looks like a nice old-school Snapper.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Gfish on March 09, 2022, 10:41:52 PMLooks like a nice old-school Snapper.

Things heard at a 50 year High School Reunion ?