Upright Freezer cooling intermittent

Started by jgp12000, March 09, 2022, 04:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

One of our freezers must have the drain tube stopped up. When it defrosts water runs out on the garage floor and none in the drip pan. I just checked and tried to stick a plastic spudger up in there, and some white powder came out and it does appear to be clogged. I got it emptied and unplugged to thaw out as there is ice in bottom of freezer I assume because of the clog. Last year my HVAC(3 years old) drain tube clogged up and stopped cooling I assume same scenario, anybody? I run a little Clorox through the drain tube on the HVAC now. 

foakes

We had a similar issue last year with our chest freezer out in the barn —- this is what I found online that worked to clear the clogged drain tube:

If your freezer isn't consistently producing a puddle, signaling a water issue, it is most likely only leaking when the defrost cycle activates. When the defrost turns on, it melts the frost off the evaporator coils which is then sent to a drain hole and ferried away. However, if the drain hole or the tube it uses are blocked, that water will become standing water, freeze, and subsequent runoff will start spilling out the bottom.

What you will want to do first is locate the drain hole. This is in the bottom of the freezer and maybe hidden under pull out drawers depending on your model. If you can see ice or obstruction of the hole, it needs to be removed.

If you cannot see any blockages or your leaking problem persists, then you may have a clog or a freeze in the actual drain tube rather than just the entrance. The simplest way to fix this is to fill a turkey baster with hot water, inserting it into the drain tube, and using the force to clear the blockage. If it is exceptionally bad, you may even need to install a new drain tube, but that is in the most extreme circumstances. Typically the forceful hot water is enough to remove anything that may have potentially ended up in there. Most clogs are very minor, but they are compounded by water freezing inside with them. If clogs are common, you may want to consider installing a drain hose heater.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

True what Fred stated and even a NEW Freezer can leak refrigerant causing the same problem you are having . Need to look at the lines around the compressor and see if any are oily .
Generally on an upright you can run a wire down it and clean it,and some actually have a Close position on the drain and you need to pull up  or twist it open it .
One more lil tid bit is the defrost timer could be on the fritz.
They don't make shiz to last any more .
I have a scratch and dent special we got from Monkey Wards 46 years ago still works and have had to REPLACE  three new ones in the last  6 years .
Good luck to ya.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

jgp12000

After thawing some the drain port was full of ice water runs right thru now, could it be it was clogged then the water in the drain port froze making it impossible to drain thereafter.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: jgp12000 on March 10, 2022, 12:45:35 AMAfter thawing some the drain port was full of ice water runs right thru now, could it be it was clogged then the water in the drain port froze making it impossible to drain thereafter.

You betcha Bongos . Time will Tell for sure !
Good Luck on it .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Brewcrafter

Great news, sounds like you have it fixed!!!  I have to say when it comes to appliance repair (refrigerators, freezers, washer, dryer, etc) if you cannot get a solution here on AT Forum I heartily endorse Repair Clinic.com   Great source for schematics, video tutorials, and parts.  I have resurrected stuff over the years for a fraction of what a replacement or repairman would have cost, as a matter of fact I have a new auger motor coming in the mail for my ice maker; something that years ago I would not have been able to figure out or fix on my own. - john

Gobi King

Does it have auto defrost?

When I have issues in the freezer, it is nearly always due to ice on the coils INSIDE.

I get a big cooler, move all the stuff to it, open the freeze and point a room heater blower into it with  a bunch of towels on the bottom, it takes the entire day but once all the ice is gone, I have it a good wipe down and clean the blower fan and the heat exchange coils outside and wooolah.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

jgp12000

yep Gobi, I believe most uprights now are frost free. I think it just needed a thaw out and I cleaned it with clorox cleanup. Thankfully we have another freezer I was able to get everything in. I mainly use this one for fish and bait. I have done the cooler thang a few times.

Bill B

I second what John said about RepairClinic.com.  Our washing machine stopped agitating, but did everything else.  20 minutes on the website diagnosed my issue.  A $20 plastic spline gear cured the agitation problem. What was really amazing all I needed was a 9/16" socket wrench!  Took longer to drive down the mountain and back than do the repair.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!