6500 drags

Started by thorhammer, March 09, 2022, 06:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Hi folks, first post in new look and trying to learn to manuever. I have a 1973 6500C
I am building to throw long- can anyone tell me what carbontex to order?  I know Breadfan and Nick have done this recently. Bearing suggestion?

thanks,

John

ReelFishingProblems

John,

I definitely got the level wind upgrade from Dad's Ole Tackle https://www.dadsoletackle.com/abu-garcia-k67-abu-garcia-ambassadeur-6000-6500-66.html

I think I bought the spool bearings and CF separate, but probably still on Dad's.

That was for the vintage 6000. For the 6500C3CT I built it from all loose parts, so I think I used the CF that came with the bridge I bought. The spool bearings I think were from Boca bearings.

Nick

thorhammer

Gotcha- I had seen that site. This is the reel I got a CT cage for; so prolly drags and spool bearings is about all I'll change besides polishing etc.

Your blank delivers tomorrow- text me your addy cause I lost it and I'll get it on the way Fri or Sat. What else so you need besides the Fuji guides for your Lami? text me.

I have some BPS credits, so I'm stewing on a Fathom 15CS. Cause I don't have one. I certainly don't need one.

ReelFishingProblems

John,

Sending you a text.

That 6500CT is gonna be sweet. Not to be a bad influence but you should totally get the fathom and put it on a similar rig as the 6500CT and see which one you like better.
I have my 6500C3CT on the Penn Battalion II 11' and the squall 12 on a prevail 10'. I might get another Battalion rod for the squall to see if I like that combination better, but right now the 6500 is my favorite thing to launch

Breadfan

Thorhammer, I bought my drags along with the 6.3:1 main and pinion gear as a kit from Dad's ole' Tackle on ebay. I think Dawn can get you the right washers here on this site? I almost went the route you are taking with CT cage and the 6500, I think you will be happy with the set-up, it's hard to go wrong with Abu. Also, you won't go wrong with the Fathom 15CS. I really like mine, it cast just as well as all of them with more line capacity and more drag. You can't have too many reels!

Breadfan

Thorhammer, what CT cage did you get?

thorhammer

Just the stock Abu cage. I wanted to fly sleeper on this one.

Breadfan

Nothing wrong with those cages and they are not expensive. I'm going to build an 6500 or maybe a 6000 very soon and I plan to go with that cage.

thorhammer

This is a really nice reel- didn't want to just make it a donor. The only thing noticeable externally will be frame and I'll prolly sub in a 90's CT style flat paddle power handle. I've other beaters that need a facelift but have nice innards. I pick them up whenever possible. Still planning a full build out on one but buried three pages deep in projects right now.

Nick, I see you looking- didnt get a text. Blanks is here.

thorhammer

Spool was toast!!!  AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! But at least i found out on my bench and not on the sand at Hatteras!

steelfish

have you tried your reel with another spool and check if its the only bad part?
The Baja Guy

thorhammer

nyet. but it was def the spool. Four radial cracks, a concentric one starting, and the flange was buckling in on two axi....It actually still got ten secs freespool with this busted wheel....