14/0 rumbling sound when cranking

Started by Easybreezey, March 10, 2022, 04:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Easybreezey

Good evening all. I have received a 14/0 senator. Before I took it apart this afternoon it had a rumbling sound and feel when cranking. I followed up by taking it apart to clean it out and re grease. Hoping it would fix. However when I put it back together it still has a low rumbling sound. I inspected the main and pinion gears and gear sleeves and oiled the bearing thinking one of those would be the issue. It still cranks and works 100% but I'd like to fix it before it becomes a problem.

Wompus Cat

Welcome to the Forum.

Bout ALL it can be is Bearings ,Gears or combination of both .
THe bearing may feel smooth and good but under a load they will rumble grind and give ya fits as will a gear .I would suspect bearings on one of those Monsters.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Easybreezey

Quote from: Wompus Cat on March 10, 2022, 04:34:50 AMWelcome to the Forum.

THe bearing may feel smooth and good but under a load they will rumble grind and give ya fits as will a gear .I would suspect bearings on one of those Monsters.

Appreciate it. You reckon I should start my replacing the bearings then? Or you reckon I'm just in my own head.

foakes

Bearings —- Replace both sides.

A rumbling, howling sound indicates bad bearings —- like Henry said. 

The gears (main & pinion) if bad, would make more of grinding —- and you would more feel this then hear it.

And generally, if the gears were not dry or salt damaged in the head plate — they are likely OK.

Plus, bearings are a lot cheaper to replace — and the likely culprit.

Also, when installing and lubing the bearings on these large trolling Senators — grease should be used in the bearings.  Penn Blue, Yamaha Marine, or Cal's.  Oil won't do the job.

Welcome aboard!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Easybreezey on March 10, 2022, 05:12:12 AM
Quote from: Wompus Cat on March 10, 2022, 04:34:50 AMWelcome to the Forum.

Appreciate it. You reckon I should start my replacing the bearings then? Or you reckon I'm just in my own head.

Yep BEARINGS First .
If you feel anything at all when spinning them they are bad and will magnify the noise, rumble when labored with that heavy spool  on an axis  and Grease is the way to go as Fred mentioned .

Easybreezey

Received 2 new bearings and cups from mystic parts today. Installed and tge reel is as good as new. On a side not also received my parts for shimano beastmaster 80/130. Reels are ready to hit the beach. Thanks for y'all's help.

1badf350

Dang, that Shimano is a monster. I don't think I've ever seen one that big
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Lunker Larry

stick a screw driver in that fits snug and rotate under pressure. You should feel any roughness
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Easybreezey on March 17, 2022, 09:17:53 PMReceived 2 new bearings and cups from mystic parts today. Installed and tge reel is as good as new. On a side not also received my parts for shimano beastmaster 80/130. Reels are ready to hit the beach. Thanks for y'all's help.

Thanks for posting back on your success and glad it turned out for you . .It helps future Queries.

Bill B

Good job sticking with it.  I see some sharks on the beach in your near future.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Gfish

Them bearing/cup units are expensive, but it should be done. Definitely a thing to service after a few trips and wash-offs. Every old Penn Senator I've had, had those issues. Maybe flood 'em with penetrating lube like PB Blaster, blow 'em out and then flush with oil. Pack with grease to finish.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Easybreezey

Quote from: 1badf350 on March 18, 2022, 12:01:20 AMDang, that Shimano is a monster. I don't think I've ever seen one that big
Yes sir, I'm pretty thrilled with it. Finally found a replacement pressure plate on eBay that came all the way from England. Also changed out the drag washer. One of these days I'd like to get a carbon fiber one made.

Easybreezey

Quote from: Gfish on March 19, 2022, 01:53:07 AMThem bearing/cup units are expensive, but it should be done. Definitely a thing to service after a few trips and wash-offs. Every old Penn Senator I've had, had those issues. Maybe flood 'em with penetrating lube like PB Blaster, blow 'em out and then flush with oil. Pack with grease to finish.
will keep in mind. When I took the old cup fully out under the bearing it was slightly warped. Which I assume caused the rumbling. I packed the replacements with grease. And I take good care of my reels if I'm allowed to toot my own horn. In my sharking line up I have a diawa 900h and the two from above. Which I'm pretty positive they were all discontinued before I was born.