YFT & Newell Jigmaster 99

Started by redsetta, January 12, 2012, 09:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

G'day all,
Thought I'd share a couple of pics...
This is a nice YFT taken last week out of Tutukaka, on the upper east coast of NZ's north Island.
The guy with the hose is actually a few steps back from the fish, so it's bigger than it looks.
A mate took the pic at the weigh-in station, so I don't have any other details - nice fish though!

This is my most recent addition - a Newell Jigmaster 99, fully Tani-ised with S/S gear sleeve, 3+1 HT-100s, Penn Powerhandle, S/S pinion yoke etc.

I've ummed and ahhed about whether to spool it with straight 30lb mono or 50lb Spectra with a 30lb top-shot, and am leaning toward the braid/top-shot set up.
It's an all-rounder - some casting, some bottom fishing, some light jigging etc - for fish up to around 20lb.
Any thoughts/recommendations?
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Justin, that YFT is so nice it almost looks fake.
That 99 looks sweet! Personally I would load it with mono, unless you were looking for more line. I believe that reel will hold appr. 350 yds of 25lb or 300 yds of 30lb. Nice reel Justin, thanks for sharing.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

G'day all,
Thought I'd add a few more pics of the 99...
It has 5:1 S/S high-speed gears, though I'm not sure if they're Newell or Penn.

Naturally, the fibre washer under the main gear has been upgraded to CF...

I ended up spooling it with 350m of 30lb braid and use it mainly off the paddleboard and kayak as it handles immersion well... ;)
Cheers, Justin

Norcal Pescador

Nice reel Justin and a beauty of a YFT. Any info on what tackle he used?
I used 505HS/506HS gear sets for my 500 and 501. Using Carbontex 0.5mm #21 washers and Smoothdrag metals, I was able to make the 500 a 1+5 stack. S/S gear sleeve rounded out the upgrade. (Just left the 501 1+3.) The 1+5 isn't really needed, but it's there so I don't have to crank so hard on the star to get 15 pounds out of it.
Just keep an eye on the braid so it doesn't get behind the spool. I put 30 pound braid and a 20 pound mono topshot on my 500, 20 pound mono on my 501....
Cheers,
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Panama

I would top it off with braid.  I have 2 of these.  One topped with braid and the other 25# mono.  I like the braid's sensitivity and the option of being able to tie on any leader I like.  I also put a SS sleeve and Newell 5:1 gear in the one topped with braid.  One of my go to for rock fishing.

Anthony
Get on the water, Man!!!

wallacewt

id put fluoro to braid,1 1/2 times the length of the rod,small ball bearing snap swivel.you can jig,bottom,slow troll with lure or live bait out of your kayak.not likely youd be fishing deep,hence the fluoro.gd luck.im fishing to morrow,weathers right.

redsetta

Nice one Wallace - good luck!
QuoteI don't have to crank so hard on the star to get 15 pounds out of it...
Good call - that'll have to be the next upgrade.
Cheers lads.

Keta

Nice!  Somehow I ended up with 3 Tiburon frames and spools for 99 width Jigmasters  ;D to use during this years albacore this season.  I'm also playing around with Penn Surfmaster 150 and 100 reels......salmon, inshore rockfish and livebait albacore?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain