Fathom II 8xn question

Started by Jenx, March 10, 2022, 06:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenx

I have been tempted a couple of times to buy a Fathom 8xn, but the lack of any casting breaks has been what has held me back from buying it. I get that the reel is meant for vertical fishing, but I prefer my reels to be more versatile.

My question is:

I believe the 8 is the same diameter as the 12 and 15, just narrower. Would I be able to swap out a 12 or 15 side plate, which have magnetic brakes, with an 8's side plate, thus giving me magnetic brakes? Or would that still not be compatible? Mystic parts doesn't appear to have a schematic available for the 8xn.

Thanks.

MarkT

Yeah, the 8 should just be a narrow 12 or 15.  All 3 have the same retrieval speed and drag per the specs.  I'd think swapping the sideplate would work.  Do you know someone with both an 8 and a 12/15 who could give it a try?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Jenx

I do not. I was kind of hoping someone on here owned both an 8 and a 12/15, and could let me know if they cleanly swapped out.  ^-^

Looking at Mystic Parts I can probably buy all the parts for a 12 or 15 side plate for less than $40, which is what I would likely do if the breaks are indeed compatible.

I'm really liking these Fathom reels.

Jenx

In case anyone was interested, the 12 and 15 side plates are not compatible with the 8xn. The spool appears to be the culprit.

Rancanfish

Thanks for posting a definitive answer!
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.