Penn 4300ss. Anti reverse issue. Doesn’t spring back

Started by Fishgolfman, March 11, 2022, 02:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishgolfman

Hi
Another new challenge. Its a penn 4300ss with the newer anti reverse(see picture's). All parts seem to be there. The spring under rachet seems to sit. It just doesn't snap back with the external control. Replace what parts?? I got this reel from a flea market, so no history if all right parts are on this section. Reel winds well except no anti reverse

Fishgolfman

Looking at pictures of other anti reverses from mystic site. The spring tip that interacts with dog may be broken

JasonGotaProblem

You're missing a small piece of wire that wraps around the ratchet and has a tail that sits in the groove on the AR dog. I'm struggling to describe it. I'll look for a pic.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Wompus Cat

I see no Spring nor Wire in any of the Schematics I have loaded for this Reel.
But it does appear as though a spring could go under the lever and stick in the slot on the lever  .
Some Mechanisms use the countering weight of the lever itself to engage the gear when the lever is not blocked from doing it.
So MAYBE a thorough cleaning of the post where the lever sits on would take care of it plus after removing the lever you may find the Remnants of an aforementioned spring.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Wompus Cat

Could have been a spring where the arrow points but none show in the schematics I have found so far so removing the lever might give some insight . And as JasonGotaProblem stated. While  I have seen those wires on other reels but don't think it would work on this lever configuration .
 And OF COURSE the BOSS is like the SHADOW ................THE SHADOW KNOWS Wah- Haa- Haa- Haa! (Old Pipe Organ Music Should Be playing Here in Background as well)

Left click on image to enlarge .
Left click twice to SUPER SIZE!

Midway Tommy

It's not a 4300SS. Are you sure it's not a 4400SS or 4500SS? There's supposed to be a spring under the ratchet gear that fits into the slot on the dog like Henry's arrow is pointed to. Either the spring tip is broken off, the spring is missing or the tip has slipped out of the slot in the dog. Check out a 4400SS or 4500SS schematic. They show the spring.

Here's what it looks like:

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 11, 2022, 06:49:59 PMIt's not a 4300SS. Are you sure it's not a 4400SS or 4500SS? There's supposed to be a spring under the ratchet gear that fits into the slot on the dog like Henry's arrow is pointed to. Either the spring tip is broken off, the spring is missing or the tip has slipped out of the slot in the dog. Check out a 4400SS or 4500SS schematic. They show the spring.

Here's what it looks like:

Yep that is the Wire Jason refered to .
I don't care for that riggin as I can feel it when turning the handle and if I can feel it with  my ol nerve damaged paws it must echo like a Foghorn down the line in the wa wa  But that might be a Martha Stuart Moment (It's a Good Thing ) deal ......I dunno

Wompus Cat

Here is Maybe what you have From Mystic 

Fishgolfman

The tip is broken off. Mystic parts i come! Many thanks

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Fishgolfman on March 11, 2022, 10:09:40 PMOops it us a 4400s.

That would have helped however the guys and gals here can  come up with a fix just knowing it's a REEL, Car, Freezer ,Drill Motor ,Carburetor,Lawnmower ,eggbeater, but draw the line on a broken promise  as there are websites for that  .....lol

Fishgolfman

Wompus Cat

Well  you can thank JasonGottaProblem .He Nailed it the first post .