Penn 700 Spinfisher — Old Greenie

Started by foakes, March 13, 2022, 10:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

The early 60's were a time of innovation and transition for Surf-Anglers.

Lots of guys used Squidders, Surf-Masters, LB's, and other conventional brands.

However, the horizon was becoming filled with Spinning Reels —-

After studying the products offered by others such as DQ, Langley, and others —- after careful design and attention to quality and strength needed for a HD surf reel —- Penn came out with their first Spinfisher.

It was a battle tank —- in every regard — and it still is.

The 700 Spinfisher. 22 ounces, 1:3.8, metal spool, worm drive, many SS parts, simple, tough, and durable.

Got this old second generation 700 across the bench this morning.  Rusty guts, 50 year old grease, crud, stiff, many functions not working.

Good clean up, burnished all friction parts, new line guide, main bearing, a few minor wear parts replaced with new, new drags, new bail spring, etc.

It functions so well —- I would expect it to last another 50 years of surf fishing with just a quick service every couple of years.

These 700-704 reels are not expensive —- and a true pleasure to fish.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

milne

Fantastic Job,  Master at work.
I love seeing these old reels being reinvented and that reel does look set for another 50 years.
I was only looking at a 700 this morning, had a broken reel seat unfortunately, so I passed, in hope one more structurally sound will appear...
Luv your work Fred.

Col

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~