57 Years Old

Started by foakes, March 15, 2022, 02:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

From Ben Wright —-

In late 1965, Penn introduced two new reels to its open-face spinning reel line.  The model numbers were 720 and 722 Deluxe.  Both were Penn's new light-size reels.

The 720 model had a 4-to-1 gear ratio and did not have ball bearings.  Early models of these reels were light blue with a blue and green fish logo on the side plate.  Later models were light blue but had Penn's standard round medallion.

The model 722 Deluxe was a high-speed 5.1-to-1 gear ratio and included ball bearings.  Early models of the 722 Deluxe were teal green with a blue and green fish logo on the side plate.  Later models of this reel were the same teal green color but had Penn's standard round medallion.

Finished up these two eBay specials for a client this morning.  Just needed full cleaning and evacuation of all dried up greases and crud, new bail springs, new A/R springs, (1) dog, new drags, and modern synthetic grease and oil.  All friction points and functions were burnished and polished for glass-like operation.

Nice little reels.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Nice work Fred.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Midway Tommy

Well done, Fred! I've been trying to latch on to a nice 720 round medallion for about 3 years now only because I have a box for one but they always seem go ridiculously high considering their quality. I'm starting to think I may never find an affordable one that's not all beat to heck. I noticed the other day that some guy is selling black 3D printed 720/722 crosswind blocks on eBay. They look a little rough around the edges. The plastic looks to be a softer type, too, but it's tough to tell from the photos.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

What parts do you need, Tom?

I might have a sideplate and medallion out in the other shop.  Can check tomorrow.

Do have a new crosswind block and also the "U" metal keeper.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jurelometer

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 15, 2022, 05:11:17 AMWell done, Fred! I've been trying to latch on to a nice 720 round medallion for about 3 years now only because I have a box for one but they always seem go ridiculously high considering their quality. I'm starting to think I may never find an affordable one that's not all beat to heck. I noticed the other day that some guy is selling black 3D printed 720/722 crosswind blocks on eBay. They look a little rough around the edges. The plastic looks to be a softer type, too, but it's tough to tell from the photos. 

I made some 3D printed 720/722 crosswind blocks.  Mo did a bit of testing with some of them.  Seem to work OK.  Mine are made from PETG.  Have about a half dozen sitting around somewhere.  Free to anyone who wants them (if I can find them :)

PETG is about functionally equivalent to the ABS used in the originals.  Probably a bit harder.  The main concern for durability is probably print quality and not the material. Printing with larger layer height makes for a less detailed /rougher part, but can be stronger from the increased surface area to bond layers.  The EBay guy is claiming poly, which probably means PETG.  Buying homemade 3D printed parts from some rando on the auction site is always going to be a crapshoot.

Tom  at Cortez has some fancy ones machined from a high tech plastic.  Those are probably the best ones out there.

-J

foakes

Those are really needed, and cool, Dave!

That is a weak link in these 720/722 reels.

Yesterday, when disassembling the 722 —- found that the metal horseshoe connecting block keeper was rusted to the (2) holes in the spool shaft.

Would not come out with any procedure I attempted.  Needing it to come off so that the gears, A/R mechanisms, main gear & axle, could all be cleaned, polished and crud removed.

Finally needed to get more aggressive —- and the brittle 50+ year old block broke in two.  Better to happen with me —- then later with the owner.

Grabbed another out of the parts department —- and another clean metal keeper —- and completed the job.

Tom's blocks look really good, and were needed badly.  I think that yours and Tom's are more durable than OEM.

We have so many talented folks on our site. 

It is easy to take things for granted —- and we cannot do that.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

oldmanjoe

:)   Nice clean up , looks brand new ... :cf
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Midway Tommy

I've seen Tom's & they look like they're high quality. Only saw the one Dave sent to Mike back then.

I don't need any parts at this point, Fred, I need the whole dang round medalalion 720, preferably in really nice condition. They're tough to grab ahold of for a decent price. At least it gives me something to look for.  ;)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

foakes

Quote from: oldmanjoe on March 15, 2022, 03:36:56 PM:)  Nice clean up , looks brand new ... :cf

These really were not too bad to do, Joe —-

Check for function and any issues
Disassemble
Inspect all parts
Scrape out as much of the crud and dried grease as possible
Painted/plastic parts soaked in HD Dawn/water in the US cleaner
Metal parts in Lacquer Thinner also in the US cleaner
20 minute cycle
Rinse
Dry
Reinspect all parts
Replace any worn parts
All friction areas wire wheeled —- steel wooled —- burnished
Dremeled
Then all friction areas polished with Nevr Dull
Rinsed and dried again
Reassemble
Synthetic purple grease cut 50/50 with WRL191S oil
Check all operation as reel is assembled
Fine Tune functions
Re-Check all screws and nuts for proper torque
Light wipe down with a Micro-Fiber cloth sprayed with WD-40
Final wipe down with a dry micro-fiber cloth
Bag it

--------

Fred O.

foakes

I really do not understand the motivation behind some of the sellers on eBay.

There are reels and parts listed oftentimes for 3 to 10 times what they are actually worth and have sold for in the last few weeks.  Particularly some of the reels that are offered by folks in Japan.

Here is an example —-

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

Tom, I found a new 720 light blue metallic sideplate with the medallion.

We have guests coming up tomorrow for a few days —- and I will not be able to ship it until mid-week, next.

N/C.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Thanks, Fred! I sent you a PM. Save it in case someone really needs it. I haven't found a reel yet, but I'm still looking. :D

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

mo65

Just wanted to say the crosswind blocks Dave made are still working great. We put them in a 720z and a 722z...thanks again Dave! :fish
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

jgp12000

Is there a Chronology book on PENN spinners like Mike wrote on the conventionals ?
Going by mystic info the 716 began in 66' did it always have the flat green paint until the z models started?

foakes

Quote from: jgp12000 on March 27, 2022, 05:54:11 PMIs there a Chronology book on PENN spinners like Mike wrote on the conventionals ?
Going by mystic info the 716 began in 66' did it always have the flat green paint until the z models started?

Not really a book as of yet —- it takes a fair amount of research and piecing together catalogs, advertisements, manuals, boxes, experience from others, the internet, and other sources — to get a more complete idea of the history's & timelines.

There are some very interesting backstories about how Penn decided and started out building Spinners —- that I am privy to.

This spans both sides of the Atlantic.

But it would not be right for me to share those at this point —- without permission from some of the individuals involved —- a few are still with us —- many have passed on.  Plus, I like to verify sources, statements, stories, and opinions —- before spouting off.

I wish there was a book on Penn Spinners.

There are books on Mitchell, ABU, and a few others.

Frankly, there is a vast pool of knowledge and individuals on our site who are good resources.

With Penn, there are always exceptions —- but basically the flat pastel non-metallic green was the first color used for the Spinfishers —- starting with the first version 700 back around 1960.  From there, it continued on in mostly that green color —- with a few exceptions such as the light metallic green 704 & black 710's.  When the Z's came out —- they were black and gold.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.