Shimano Curado 201, cast's stopping abruptly

Started by retiredandfishing, March 16, 2022, 01:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredandfishing

Got a Curado 201 in the shop the other day. When castng it will sometimes just stop casting and create a short cast.  Then sometimes it will cast just fine. I have reproduced this myself.  My customer says it also makes a high pitched sound at times when doing this, although I have not heard this in my casts.

I cleaned the reel and thought it was fixed but it still will short cast from time to time.  I do not see where there is any abnormal wear on any parts. Wondering in anyone has run into this problem before and knows what fixes it.   Any help you can be would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Wompus Cat

If it is not inadvertently kicking out of free spool I would suspect BEARINGS regardless of how they look or feel in hand or I Think  that model is  a Level Wind and has a Plastic  idler gear  (I THINK) will do same  .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

retiredandfishing

Quote from: Wompus Cat on March 16, 2022, 01:18:46 AMIf it is not inadvertently kicking out of free spool I would suspect BEARINGS regardless of how they look or feel in hand or I Think  that model is  a Level Wind and has a Plastic  idler gear  (I THINK) will do same  .

From what it feels like, it may be kicking out of free spool as the short cast is very sudden and the cast stops abruptly.  The idler gear is plastic, but can find nothing wrong with it (gears look good and no evidence of any hang ups or hitches).

Wompus Cat

Quote from: retiredandfishing on March 16, 2022, 05:37:07 AM
Quote from: Wompus Cat on March 16, 2022, 01:18:46 AMIf it is not inadvertently kicking out of free spool I would suspect BEARINGS regardless of how they look or feel in hand or I Think  that model is  a Level Wind and has a Plastic  idler gear  (I THINK) will do same  .

From what it feels like, it may be kicking out of free spool as the short cast is very sudden and the cast stops abruptly.  The idler gear is plastic, but can find nothing wrong with it (gears look good and no evidence of any hang ups or hitches).

I don't care for those newer composite type reels in the first place because of oddball tweaks and warpage contrary to what THEY Say (whoever THEY IS)about the longevity of the Composite Materials ...lol
BUT I would go  with what philorman posted and see if you have some issues like those in the innards . On those it does not take much nore than a Frog Hair to mess them up to where they become just good for fishing off the pier or straight down in your boat .

Lunker Larry

Is there too heavy a line on it? It may be cutting in on itself and snagging. Had a few complaints like this and that was the issue. Change to lighter line.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Gfish

Kinda sounds from your description like it's kicking back into gear during the cast. IS it already IN gear as you start to reel back in when you get those "short casts"? Does it do that if you cast harder and faster than usual? Movement of the drive gear system during the cast would engage the kick-lever system...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

Wompus Cat

Quote from: oc1 on March 17, 2022, 08:17:18 AMDoes it have an after-market handle on it?

The Boss done asked this in the DUPLICATE THREAD
 HERE
https://alantani.com/index.php?msg=410387

Could a Mod merge these topics so it makey mo cents ? EH?

Lunker Larry

Quote from: Wompus Cat on March 17, 2022, 11:30:03 AM
Quote from: oc1 on March 17, 2022, 08:17:18 AMDoes it have an after-market handle on it?

The Boss done asked this in the DUPLICATE THREAD
 HERE
https://alantani.com/index.php?msg=410387

Could a Mod merge these topics so it makey mo cents ? EH?

Switch to paddle handle if it has a power handle. Power handle acts as a pendulum and engages the reel.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

philaroman

Steve,
1. does it actually kick back into gear mid-cast, by itself, OR is the cast stopped short while still in freespool
2. are you using braid & if so, is it especially thin, "ribbonny", or "hairy" from wear

3. [Steve/Mod]  just delete the other thread -- nothin' there, that isn't mentioned here

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

retiredandfishing

Quote from: philaroman on March 17, 2022, 03:14:58 PMSteve,
1. does it actually kick back into gear mid-cast, by itself, OR is the cast stopped short while still in freespool
2. are you using braid & if so, is it especially thin, "ribbonny", or "hairy" from wear

3. [Steve/Mod]  just delete the other thread -- nothin' there, that isn't mentioned here

Kicks back in to gear mid cast.  Reel has Mono on it.   Thanks

retiredandfishing

Quote from: Lunker Larry on March 17, 2022, 12:59:18 AMIs there too heavy a line on it? It may be cutting in on itself and snagging. Had a few complaints like this and that was the issue. Change to lighter line.

Has medium mono line on it.  I'd say 20 lbs or so. I'll have to check this out.  Thanks

retiredandfishing

Quote from: Gfish on March 17, 2022, 07:31:43 AMKinda sounds from your description like it's kicking back into gear during the cast. IS it already IN gear as you start to reel back in when you get those "short casts"? Does it do that if you cast harder and faster than usual? Movement of the drive gear system during the cast would engage the kick-lever system...

It is in gear when I start to reel back. Not sure about what it does when casting harder or faster. I'll have to check. I'll look at the drive gear system and see how much play is in it. Thanks