Heddon 499 repair question

Started by dciccone13, March 16, 2022, 04:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dciccone13

Hi,  new to the forum.

Decided to try to clean and grease a Heddon 499 trolling reel that hasn't been used in a long time.  I should of been more careful with taking it apart.   A tension pin became lose and I don't know where it goes.

I also loosened the release and it is a bit out of sorts.

Any pointers on putting this together would help.

Thanks

Donnyboat

Hi Dciconne, & welcome to the forum, have a look @ your bottom picture, you will see the eccentric leaver,  on the outside of your face plate, you will see the eccentric, on the inside, the spring in your left hand, fits into the hole in the eccentric, the right angle in the spring fits in  that hole and the other end of the spring should fit into the top of your face plate.
      If I were you I would pull it all apart, then as you start, make sure the chrome ring on  the outside fits into place with all the screw hole lining up correctly, then place your eccentric & spring together & push the eccentric through the face plate, then screw the eccentric leaver back on, but this time you might find the right angle on the leaver will point inwards over  the chrome ring, I am sure that is the way it was, as you can see the ware on the leaver, as is, possibly the best thing  to do, is have a look at some of the Penn Senator tutorials, then you should be able to follow them, dont be embarrest we all had to start some were, & I asked plenty of stupid questions at first, good luck, dont forget pictures of the fish you catch, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Brewcrafter

Donny is on it!  That's your eccentric spring.  They can be tricky the first few times (as can dog springs!).  If you are still worried after watching some tutorials worry not - there is plenty of help here on the forum and what you are dealing with is NOT unusual; if you cannot find a solution we can walk you through it. - john

Wompus Cat

You did good getting the guts back in place. Just hit a bump in the Road as all good men have done that came this way before ya. The lever Don and Brewcrafter refer to is also on bass ackwards .

I think I have a HEDDON  plate here somewhere that will show the position of th Spring in it's proper place and will post it later today
AND WELCOME to the Forum
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Wompus Cat

Here is a pic kinda showing the spring position I goooglied up and it cam form a post right here Mo65 made a few years ago .......
https://alantani.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25821.0;attach=56389;image
If you still have trouble let us know
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Gfish

A Heddon. Almost a Penn clone. Kinda tricky to get that spring in right. You may haveta play with it for awhile. Welcome to the Forum dciccone13!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Donnyboat

Yes thanks men, I coat the eccentric with grease, put the spring in place, then screw the lever on, but make sure you have the chrome ring in place first, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

Hi Dicconi, did you manage to get it back together, another thing you have on me, I still cant post pictures like you, I rely on other members to do that for me, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat