Vintage Deep Sea Rods-Please help me ID them

Started by gt2003, March 17, 2022, 10:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt2003

Here are 2 rods i inherited from my Dad.  They r both right at 6 feet long.  The first is what appears to be an all fiberglass rod.  The markings are partially worn by off but it appears to say maybe Rob's or Robio Reb-L-Flex 45-700. I'm guessing somewhere around 1960'ish.

The second rod i know even less about.  It was paired w a Ocean City Bay Coty reel so maybe even 1950's???  It looks s bronze in color, right around 6 feet long and, i think, is made of some type of metal???  It also 'breaks apart' right above the handle.  Any help in identifying these is greatly appreciated!!

Bill B

The key lime pie colored rod looks like a Johnny Walker or True Temper.  I have the same colored rod on my Neptune and it had a Johnny Walker label on it. JW built mid grade rods in the 50's and 60's.   But with the fore grip I'm leaning towards True Temper.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

PacRat

If both those rods are about as limber as broomsticks I say they're what we use to call "rock-cod specials". I had one very similar to the solid green fiberglass rod. We use to put a rail-plate just forward of the grip and a big conventional reel. We'd load the reels with dacron and stick a winch crank on them. We really didn't care about the rod's action and were just using them to winch up the cod. Solid rods were very common for these rigs.

-Mike 

gt2003

Quote from: PacRat on March 19, 2022, 02:47:04 AMIf both those rods are about as limber as broomsticks I say they're what we use to call "rock-cod specials". I had one very similar to the solid green fiberglass rod. We use to put a rail-plate just forward of the grip and a big conventional reel. We'd load the reels with dacron and stick a winch crank on them. We really didn't care about the rod's action and were just using them to winch up the cod. Solid rods were very common for these rigs.

Yes, very stiff!  We lived in Michigan when i was very young so i'm guessing maybe they were used for deep sea bottom fishing but i can't guarantee that.

The orange,brown colored one is interesting to me as well since it appears to be hollow, tubular metal.

Cuttyhunker

I'm with Tarfu on the Greenie being either a True Temper or a Montague, prior to the buy out.  I've picked up a few this past winter with both names on the rods from the transition period.  The green is almost translucent and quite striking when the old darkened varnish is stripped.
Doomed from childhood

gt2003

I had some better lighting the other day and the lime green one says Robi's, REB-L-FLEX, Custom Designed, Robinson Company, Atlanta Georgia.