Holy bent bail!

Started by JeffG, March 18, 2022, 08:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffG

I was checking on some of my reels before the start of the spring fishing season and noticed that my 2 110's had completely different bail angles. Not sure if it had been like this all along  or if it got bent this winter. I'm assuming the not so drastic bend is closer to the correct. What says my DAM friends?

foakes

Looks like the one with the red line has a bent downwards bail.

It should straighten out.

If the bail chrome flakes when bent back into shape —- either really sand it smooth so you cannot feel any edge that might cut your line —- or replace the bail.

The two other factors to check when aligning a bent bail on these —- the bail mount on the spring side must be squared up as original.  Also, the trip lever needs to be square, and not bent downwards.

The reel with the gold line looks OK from here.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JeffG

Thanks Fred, kind of what I was thinking. I'll have to get out to the lake and get some casts in and see how it trips and how the line lays.

Jeff

Gfish

If it sill functions, I'd be tempted to leave it be. Only cause I'm afraid of doing more damage. I prolly wouldn't be able resist trying, though. Good luck Boy Wonder!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JeffG

Quote from: Gfish on March 19, 2022, 02:00:25 AMIf it sill functions, I'd be tempted to leave it be. Only cause I'm afraid of doing more damage. I prolly wouldn't be able resist trying, though. Good luck Boy Wonder!

I'm just not sure when it was bent, so will wait to see how things lay, cast and trip when I get it to the water. Looking at how the line is laying, I'd say it came to me this way, but we'll see.

Gfish

Ah man! Didn't notice the line-lay. Fred's right. it should be straightened-out
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

This is how it should square up for proper line lay —- which in turn offers less tangles as well as smoother and longer casts.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.