Ben Wright — Legacy & Predictions — The Spinning Reel Guru

Started by foakes, March 19, 2022, 08:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Ben Wright, possibly one of the most knowledgeable experts on Spinning Reels ever —- still guides me as a mentor about the merits, advantages, and value of Spinning Reels.

Ben, the author of (5) books about Spinning Reels —- passed on  nearly 6 years ago.

We had a few conversations over the years —- and I provided him with rare parts a couple of times.

One conversation about 3 years before his passing —- sticks with me.

We were talking on the phone —- about Spinners.  He was an expert on spinning reel trends —- and also wrote a report every month that showed the prices paid for spinning reels on eBay.

I asked him what to look for in the future regarding solid values that would appreciate in the Spinning reel world.

He just said —- Look at quality reels from the 50's thru mid 80's.  He said the criteria must be solidly supported gears, solid brands, mostly metals, parts availability, desirability  to both fish and collect, solid history.

He pointed out DAM Quick, which I already specialized in.

Then he also said Penn, ABU/Zebco Cardinals, and certain Mitchells.

He said to pay attention particularly to the smaller models in these brands. Microlights & Ultralights.

He said the Penn 716, 714 (greenies & Z's), 420, 430.

The Cardinal 3's —- Swedish & Japan

The Dam Quicks in 265, 110, 110N, 1000, and 1001.

Mitchell 308, and particularly the 408.

He also said to watch the Daiwa Mini metal reels from the late 70's. 

He was right, in all respects.

For anyone who has followed the prices recently being paid for these reels over the last couple of years —- already knows what I am talking about.

Ben was right in every respect —- we owe him a lot for his books, reports, and expertise.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

Did not know Ben; have heard a lot about him, and I believe it was all positive.  Have never seen any of his books, despite a lot of trying.  They are hard to come by, and if you are looking to buy (as opposed to just read) one, hold on to your kidneys, arms and legs, 'cause they ain't cheap.

Frank

Gfish

Have experienced almost all those reels. Have only briefly tried the MG 308 & 408 thanks to others. Never tried the Diawa mini-metal or Japanese Cardinals. But, I think the Diawa GS-3(late 70's) is a great reel.
Do you recall any mention of the Shakespeare spinners, 50's to early 70's? I really like the Maroon reels.
So many reels to experience... lately I've been looking at the Shakespeare 50's to 70's spincasters. Cheap to buy, heavy and well-made, almost no plastic. With these oldies you just godda make sure the felt drag washers are still intact.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

The Shakes are excellent reels.  Great worm drive, superior materials, tough & well built.

The only problem was/is —- no reliable parts availability.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

Those old Shakespeare spincasters are interesting; a lot of variety, and IMHO pretty good looking.  The felt drags can go out, but easy to replace.  Some of the better ones have an oscillating line wind.  Quite a few came out as underspins.

Frank

Midway Tommy

Ben and I were pretty close, especially in his later years. We did some research together on articles he wrote about Sportech Classic IV/American Classic IV reels & American Classic Sales, and the chronology of the Japanese made skirted spool fulcrum brake Greenline, Royal Plus, C Series and Classic Special Cardinals. I miss him and our near daily discussions a lot. I have a couple of reels from his ABU collection that we were discussing while he was in the hospital just prior to his passing while suffering from asbestosis. 

He told me once that he fished nearly everyday for close to 30 years. He said his favorite reel and reel of choice in those earlier days was the Alcedo Micron. I'm pretty sure he switched over to the ABU & Zebco Cardinal 3 in his later years, though.

Something interesting about Ben that not many people are aware of is that prior to him jumping feet first into the open face spinning reel sector he had what was considered at the time the largest and most extensive vom Hofe collection in the world. He said that he took an awful lot of ribbing from fellow collectors about switching to spinning reels but said he ended up having the last laugh. RIP Ben!    

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Midway Tommy

On the cover of Ben's 2011 Edition of Wright's Spinning Reel Reference & Value Guide there are two ABU spinning reels, a 33 and 44, that Ben later refers in the ABU section as the "Royal Abu's". He states "These were made for Prince Carl Gustaf XVI and his new wife Silvia from Germany. They were presented to Mr. Gustaf and his new wife in 1976 by Abu. Both reels are a bright burnt orange color with dark brown cups. On one side of the cups, the silhouettes of the prince and his wife are in white and the other side of the cups are marked, 'Carl XVI Gustaf/ 19-6-1976/Silvia'. Note: Carl XVI Gustaf is now the king of Sweden and presumably these reels are still in his possession. Also, it should be noted that it is thought that Abu made two sets of these in case something happened during manufacturing and an employee had ended up with the extra set of these reels. I am proud to be the current care taker of these magnificent reels. Photos on front cover." 

Ben also stated in the ABU section that there is at least one 66 "Royal Abu", the same design as the 33 & 44, but is not known if one was ever presented to Prince Carl XVI Gustaf in 1976.

Below are some beautiful photos that Ben gave me years back of the Royal Abu 33 & 44. Ben's entire collection was sold after his passing. I have no idea where those reels are now.

ABU 33:

ABU 44:

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

WOW!

Great account, Tom.

Thanks for filling us in!

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.