Tyrnos tight screws

Started by surfcasterTx, March 20, 2022, 07:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

surfcasterTx

I recently bought a couple tyrnos reels and each one has the same problem. Some of the screws on the reels are extremely tight. On my 8 and 12, the cooling shield and clicker gear side screws on the spool are tight. On my 30, the clicker gear side spool screws are tight. There is plastic around the screws on both of these areas so direct heat is not an option to loosen them.

Does anyone know how I can loosen up these screws so I can remove them?

Cor

I would try some penetrating oil first and then perhaps a careful tap using old fitting screwdriver.
Then plan B......
Cornelis

alantani

chances are that salt water got in and now the screws are corroded.  you can't torch the screw heads and it's likely that penetrating oil will not help.  you might have to lean hard on these screws, then twist a little harder, and hope that the screws turn before you strip the heads.  once you strip a few screw heads, you'll get a feel for it.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

surfcasterTx

Quote from: alantani on March 20, 2022, 02:00:43 PMchances are that salt water got in and now the screws are corroded

Two of the reels have never been used yet! On some of the screws that I was able to budge off, I found a residue that looked similar to loctite.

alantani

yeah, that too!!!!   pull all of the screws and lightly grease them.  otherwise, you'll never get them apart later. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Swami805

Also use the correct screw driver, I believe the JIS tip will work better than a regular Phillips head
Do what you can with that you have where you are

surfcasterTx

Quote from: Swami805 on March 20, 2022, 03:26:59 PMAlso use the correct screw driver, I believe the JIS tip will work better than a regular Phillips head

That's pretty interesting. I ordered a couple JIS screwdrivers and will see how they work. Thanks!