It does exist

Started by Maxed Out, March 20, 2022, 06:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

1950 the Penn 209 was introduced. The very first version had non adjustable worm drive bushing. Mike C did 3 page write up in the Penn history book about this very subject. In his own words he says it is doubtful very many 209's were made this way. Well, it does exist. This 209 only has 2 numbered parts. The tail bushing and scalloped handle nut. Yes, the spool is not numbered too.

Here you can see one side has a hex bushing and other side has the slotted screw for the worm drive bushings. Neither of which is adjustable.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Maxed Out

Well, my pics didn't load. Lets try this again

Maxed Out

Here is a part of the write up about the early version of the 209 from the Penn history book

foakes

That is very cool, Ted —-

I have had on the bench some pretty old 209's —- but never one that old with no spring tension adjuster on the worm.

Also, many of the earliest 209 parts will not fit later ones.

And even the idler gear on these earlier versions was not made out of nylon —- it was a sort of a brown Bakelite.

Love that green & butterscotch swirl crank knob!

Someone probably replaced those two parts that are numbered —- at some point in its lifetime.

Thanks for sharing some of your expert knowledge with us!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Yeah, cool. Now I gotta check-out my older 209 that came in the box. I love how Penn inadvertently kept things interesting and at times mysterious.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Maxed Out

Fred, this tail bushing and scalloped nut was common to several models and the old stock non numbered ones were replaced by numbered parts as some other parts remained non numbered until the old stock was used up. Very common to see a 1950 Penn with a mixture of numbered and nom numbered parts. I believe this 209 pictured has never been messed with and is all original. No part # on seat, handle, star, headplate bushing, and worm bushing. I'd bet there are no part numbers on trim rings and internals. I have no plans to service it. All functions are smooth as silk

akfish

Another thing about the very early 209s: The cross posts were made to fit into the rings. This would make the reel a bit stronger but also, I think, more complicated to produce. I've actually seen a number of 209s with non-adjustable worm drive bushings. I had assumed the original worm bushings had been lost and replaced with random parts that fit.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

milne

Still on my too find list..
Thanks for sharing Ted...

Col