Golden Sabre Rods

Started by Bill B, March 21, 2022, 08:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

What's your opinion....I have an old Golden Sabre Rock Cod rod.  7.5' rated 80-100lb. Roller stripper and roller tip.  On a spring scale it will pull 25 lbs of drag with a little more to go, based on Alan's technique of determining drag rate for a rod.  So if it was rewrapped with modern components wold it make a decent trolling rod?  A little background these rods were common in the 70-80's  for dropping 3-5 lbs of lead 500' with a 6/0 reels.   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Brewcrafter

Awesome!  I have a brace of those (later 70's, Hypalon grips) that are regularly used as trollers with 113H reels. - john

Swami805

They're fine for a lot of lead and cod fishing but I'd get something else for game fish. So many rods that will perform better for that application.  Spending the time, effort and dollars doesn't really pencil out if you're wanting to use it for game fish. Just my opinion, start with a fresh up to date blank and invest in components for that. I know you have some fat trips this summer, time to drop some coin on a solid blank and go from there
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oldmanjoe

I would rebuild it , call it practice ..
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Ron Jones

I used 3 on our 8 day, 2 heavies and a noodle. There is nothing made today with a better action if you actually want to fish. I also have a couple graphite broomsticks that I use to go to the Pacific grocery store, but nothing fights a fish like a Saber.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"