Main Menu

Howdy

Started by JJHCenterville, March 22, 2022, 10:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJHCenterville

Hi Alan and members,

I'm on Cape Cod and have been fishing most of my 60+ years.
I just came into possession of Penn V 70VS and an 80STW.

I was hoping to get some guidance/steps about opening up each of them.  Alan I see you have a 70VS video but it looks like a slightly different 70VS model than mine...my 2-speed button is just a small chrome button nestled inside the black 'cup'.
Wondering how to open that one up.

Same for the 80STW...I have done a lot of searching on the web and don't see any step-by-step guides or videos on that 80STW...I have a 50SW but the 2-speed mechanism selection is different (at least on the outside) with the 80 being to pull the handle in  and out and the 50 is a chrome button.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you
John

RowdyW

Welcome John, you're in the right place for lots of information posted on those reels.    Rudy

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

Welcome aboard, John!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Donnyboat

hi John & welcome, I have had a 80STW apart, I actually blue the two speed mecanisium out with the air hose, & lost a small spring loaded part, I had to make up another one, that was 8 years ago & still working, but when reels are covered with grease & oil, be careful, you can blow parts & shims away real ezy, just take digital pics as you go, & refer back to them as you place it back together, after all these years you may have trouble getting the screws out, so be patient, some fisho`s place the reel in & out of the freezer that helps on some screws, also soak them difficult parts in auto trans fluid 50/50 with acetone, that will move most of the corrosion, take your time, & good luck, I think I started from the tail plate end, after you get that of, then the rest of the reel will sit on the bench more stable, you can get the main drive shaft out from that end, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

alantani

welcome!  i'll be in mexico for the rest of the week.  i'll chime in more then!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Bill B

Good to have you here.  Bill, SoCal mountains
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!