Shimano Calcutta TE 400 clutch button sagging

Started by retiredandfishing, March 22, 2022, 11:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredandfishing

Just bought out the inventory from another reel mechanic who went out of business.  Lots of nice parts and some unfinished project reels.  One in particular is a Calcutta 400.  It was in pieces so I put it back together and it works fine, except the clutch button sags on the left side.  It works but looks bad.  Anyone got a fix for this? Maybe a cheap hack?

Thanks, Steve

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

oc1

Quote from: retiredandfishing on March 22, 2022, 11:49:08 PMIt was in pieces so I put it back together and it works fine, except the clutch button sags on the left side.
That's probably why it was in pieces.  The Achilles Heel of a Calcutta.  The hole through the plastic clutch bar becomes wallowed out and loose.  Maybe you could drill out the hole and press in a sleeve. Just get a new clutch bar if you can find one.  On some models, the clutch bar only comes with a new frame.  Start by checking the schematic to see if the clutch bar has a separate part number from the frame.

Rancanfish

If you can't find one....epoxy shut the hole and redrill.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

retiredandfishing

Quote from: retiredandfishing on March 22, 2022, 11:49:08 PMJust bought out the inventory from another reel mechanic who went out of business.  Lots of nice parts and some unfinished project reels.  One in particular is a Calcutta 400.  It was in pieces so I put it back together and it works fine, except the clutch button sags on the left side.  It works but looks bad.  Anyone got a fix for this? Maybe a cheap hack?

Thanks, Steve

Think I found a fix.  Shimmed it straight.  Used a teflon washer in the rub area against the guide inside then stacked some small washers on top of it.  Seems to have worked, at least for now.  Since it's my reel I'll be using it for Steelhead and I can see if it holds up.  For now though you cannot tell there was any problem.    Thanks for all the reply's.