New Mak.s for Long Range.......Wow!

Started by conchydong, February 01, 2012, 04:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conchydong

Okuma has not rested on their laurels. They continue to listen and refine. Great job.
These reels look beautiful. Kinda glad I waited now to pull the trigger.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/story/okuma-makaira-se-fred-hall/

Tile

They should do the same for the Solterra (aluminium frame) and CLX (a steel dog post).
In solid fiberglass we trust

Dominick

Quote from: conchydong on February 01, 2012, 04:17:01 PM

Okuma has not rested on their laurels. They continue to listen and refine. Great job.
These reels look beautiful. Kinda glad I waited now to pull the trigger.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/story/okuma-makaira-se-fred-hall/
Conchydong:  I bet that this series from Okuma was an inspiration from this site.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

conchydong

You can be sure the open spool bearings lubricated with TSI 301 was.

alantani

from charkbait
http://charkbait.evecommunity.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=6061010491&f=2741078602&m=806007746001&r=266001846001#266001846001

QuoteOriginally posted by Chark:
A quick heads up for folks regarding the SE version Okuma Makaira reels. These will no doubt receive plenty of press in coming weeks. Basically, we will see two versions of the excellent Makaira reels. There are no changes to the existing reels. But, there will be SE versions of the 8, 10, 15, 20 and of course the existing 30SE. Price on the SE versions will increase by about $30. For that increase folks get a larger size handle knob (8, 10, 15 get the 20 size knob and the 20/30 get the 50 size handle arm and knob. On the 20/30 the low gear will be 1.3:1. A larger change, one that will require the angler to do some thinking whether or not the SE version is right for them concerns the bearings. The SE versions will use "open spool bearings" with TSI-310 oil. This will increase freespool performance considerably, could be 2.5 times greater in that regard. Here's my take on the bearing upgrade, it makes sense for some but not for all. For my own use, I'll probably stick with the shielded bearings given less required maintenance. The existing series of gold reels will be better for those using them as trolling pieces with a lot of hard use (in my opinion). But, for folks focusing on absolue top freespool performance - which is already a strength of the Makaira reels - the open bearings offer some improvement. There are a couple other minor mods, but the above represents the more significant changes for the SE version Makaira reels.

For folks who already own a Makaira, the modifications are also going to be available at Okuma's California service center. Cost for that will be posted later on our site, but ranges from about $40 to $60 depending upon which reel.

We will post images on our website, and of course offer them for sale once inventory arrives. We will also offer folks a chance to get in line early on this introduction. We will have the reels at our booths at the upcoming Fred Hall Show in March - both in Long Beach and Del Mar.

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

joe1234

| own several a 10 and a 15 and I love the reel. I just wish they made a reel between the 15 and 20 size. I think the 15 is too short and too wide. It would be great if they made something equivalent to a penn 12 or 16. weight 30 to 37 oz.

A man can hope right.  :) I do like the new color and longer arm.

Joe