Hello and need help PLEASE

Started by 2fury82, March 29, 2022, 11:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2fury82

Hello everyone I'm brand new to the board. This is the first time I've ever been a member of anything like this so ya here we go.

I'm 33, I'm a single dad I have custody of 2 kids that are my world. I was a paratrooper in the 82nd airborne. I was blown up a few times and am medically retired from the military. I always loved to fish and have found that fishkng is my thing that keeps me centered. I love to shark fish especially. In fact I've started a little side project where I do lbsf charters in my area. I'm in brunswick county NC so holden beach, ocean isle and oak isle kinda area. I have a major issue with a 12/0 senator. I believe It was damaged during a flight from Florida. It most have been slammed down hard. Ill include the pics. It looks like the handle side plate, and the bearing cap need to be replaced. Does anyone know exactly what parts need to be bought to fish this reel? Any help would be appreciated i love that senator and would love to keep using it. To my understanding not all senators are the same and I'm kinda lost. Also are there anyone who I can send the reel to for repair or upgrades. I've browsed the forum and seen some amazing things done to these reels and am just looking for any guidance at all.

Swami805

First off welcome, you're in the right place.  From the pictures looks like a new sideplate and the bearing assembly. Any chance you have the broken pieces?  Mystic parts,a member on here, would be a good place to start.
There's a couple large senator experts on here that will be along, they should be able to dial you in, in the mean time check out the schematics on Mystic
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

welcome and thank you for your service.  can you tell me what the model number is?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

Welcome to the best website on the internet.  Looking at your pictures you will need the right side plate and bearing assembly.  On Mysticparts.com they show the part numbers 1-116 side plate and 26N-116 bearing assembly.  One thing to be aware of is you have a bearing model and not a bushing model, they do not interchange. 

You one heck of a shark reel and well worth saving.  We have a couple of the best big Senator techs on this website and hopefully they will be along soon.

Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

2fury82

Thank everyone for there fast responses. Mystic actually referred me to this forum. I got this reel 2nd hand and to be honest I don't know where to find the model number and don't know if if it's a bushing or bearing model. I was hoping some experts could look at it and kinda guide me as to the correct parts or tell me how to check myself. I know these reels are simple bit didn't wanna open it up with out knowing where to start and what to look for. Funny thing I'm recovering from a drone injury and have a little time on my hands as far as checking it out myself. I'm just not experienced and don't know exactly what I'm looking at. I'd post a pic of the cut the drone did but don't wanna gross people out. 28 stitches thou lol. Got blown up twice in Afghanistan and this is the most I've been stitched.

Bill B

Ok let's start this...first we need a clear picture of the handle side plate (right side) that clearly shows the Senator model number.  The 10/0 and 12/0 are the same diameter , but the 12/0 is wider, hence the 12/0 designation.  In a pinch you can use either the 10/0 side plate, but must be sure it's a bearing plate.  So let's start there with a clear picture of the Senator emblem.  Bill

2fury82

Sorry yall I didn't realize how bad the original pics where

Gfish

Welcome to the forum 2fury82. Thanks for your service. Sounds like you got injured pretty bad. I'll help you however I can. To start, there's a ball bearing on the tail-plate, so the head-plate gets one too.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bill B

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on March 30, 2022, 02:21:07 AMWelcome to the best website on the internet.  Looking at your pictures you will need the right side plate and bearing assembly.  On Mysticparts.com they show the part numbers 1-116 side plate and 26N-116 bearing assembly.  One thing to be aware of is you have a bearing model and not a bushing model, they do not interchange. 

Bill

We are now sure you have a 12/0 Senator, the big brother of the 10/0.  As stated  earlier the parts are available on Mysticparts.com. But before you order parts, the reel should be torn all the way down and inspected for:

1. Gear sleeve, part number 98-116
2. Carbon fiber drag washers, part number 6-116
3. Left side bearing part number 26-119

If your handle has any wiggle on the gear sleeve, it should be replaced.

Look at the drag washers, they should have a woven appearance.  If not then replace with carbon fiber.

If the bearing is rough it will need to be replaced.

I don't have any spare parts to donate, but maybe someone else will come along.

Let us know how you would like to proceed.  Bill

2fury82

Roger that ill tear it down in the morning and look at the parts you mentioned. The reel was working great, then my family went on a trip, i belive during the flight back is when the damage happened. It had to have been a hard fall. Hopefully the parts you mentioned are accounted for and everything else inside is intact. My goal is to have her fixed up and ready to fish asap. I've got a 2 speed but really love the senators I grew up watching jaws lol.

2fury82

Also thank everyone for the fast replies and making me feel welcome on the forum. I know guns but I'm still new to these reels and look forward to learning about them.

Gfish

The head-plate is $51.30 new and the ball-bearing+cap is $21.15. Like Bill, I don't have any 12/0-116 parts.
Do you have the old busted-out part with the ball-bearing and cap? They had 2 different kinds; a "tall" one and a Short one, probably depending on manufacture date. If you ain't got the old one, Bill or some of our other experts might know, short or tall?
Does it have an aluminum spool?
Man that old head-plate is FUBAR. Wonder how they did that?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bill B

82nd, maybe you can start a new thread in the Senators heading.  Hate to clog up this Welcome thread.  Bill

Crow

Welcome ! And thank you for your service !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

1badf350

Looks like you'll need a new drag star too. If you get in a jam, send it to me. I'll fix it for you. Check your PMs
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"