Ambassadeur 7000 Drag Washers: Are These Original Or Aftermarket?

Started by Walleye Guy, March 30, 2022, 05:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walleye Guy

I just finished my first rebuild of a 7000 and have a question about the drag washers.  Check out the attached picture of the drag washers that were in this reel.  P/N 6950, circled in red, appears to be original but the other three washers circled in blue seem to be made from a different material.  This material is different than what I'm used to seeing in 4000, 5000 and 6000 family reels.  I've not yet experimented with aftermarket drag washers before so I'm wondering if someone can tell me if these are original or aftermarket and if yes who made them.  Carbontex, Smoooooth Drags, etc.  Also, should they be lubricated and, if yes, with what type of lubricant or should they be installed dry?   The reel was made in 1973.  Thanks!

ps: This is my original post of the 7000 rebuild.  Confession: I asked the same question at the end of that discussion but got no response so figured I'd start a new thread to get more visibility.  Hope that's ok.  : )

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=34707.0

JasonGotaProblem

Blue looks like aftermarket CF washers. Cant tell who made them by looking I'd be amazed if anyone could.well I was wrong
Best is cals for lube but superlube (available at walmart) or penn grease are also just fine.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Walleye Guy

This reel belonged to my friend's dad who he believes purchased it new.  I purchased it after his dad passed away and my friend thinks it is fairly low mileage.  If you followed the other thread, it had an extra circlip installed so I think someone worked on this reel in the past.  So I started to connect the dots and wondered if the drag washers were replaced at the same time when (if) someone had this reel opened up in the past.  Again, this is my first 7000 so just because I don't recognize the material doesn't mean they aren't original.  So, I was hoping one of the experts out there could chime in...

handi2

The extra clip is often installed to tighten up the gear sleeve. Especially if the tiny washer is missing that goes underneath that gear sleeve. I didn't see the other thread concerning the clip. Disregard my clip statement.

Dawn at Smooth Drag does have a Carbontex set for that reel. Also upgraded metal drag washers. Just make sure you order the correct year for your reel. There are 4 different 7000 series kits.

Enjoy the reel.!

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Walleye Guy

Keith, my intention was to leave the reel as-is for now, fish it, enjoy it and maybe later switch to the other style drag washers.  So, I was curious if it was already converted.  Jason thinks they look like Carbontex but you think they're original.  Shall we do Rock-Paper-Scissors to decide?   :P

steelfish

Quote from: Walleye Guy on March 30, 2022, 06:37:15 PMKeith, m....... Jason thinks they look like Carbontex but you think they're original.  Shall we do Rock-Paper-Scissors to decide?  :P

maybe "SENSEI" tittle below Keith's name can give you a hint to decide. ;)

my abu 7000c has the same drag washers or at least look pretty similar to the ones on your pictures, on my reel the drag washers are the original ones which also feel/look similar to a carbontex maybe because they are made from a carbon sheet.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13387.msg134912#msg134912
The Baja Guy

DougK

my vote is for original, those look like what is in my 1980s 7000..
I've always found these best when scrupulously cleaned and run dry, without grease. But I've never tried the drag-specific greases, it would be worth trying it both ways.

Walleye Guy

I realize that "to grease or not to grease drag washers" is a hot topic, so at the risk of opening a can-o-worms I'll just say that I was taught to run original Abu drag washers dry so on this 7000 I installed them dry (thinking they were probably original).  If the group decided they were aftermarket then I was going to open it back up and apply the appropriate grease.  Sounds like the tribe has spoken, though.   :al

ps: steelfish, that's a gorgeous reel in the link you sent

Lunker Larry

they're not after market. Those are all the original set up. Reinstall dry.
You'll have plenty of drag
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Gfish

Yup. They look just like those I've come across in my 80's Ambassadeur's. So, maybe they's used in 70's reels also. Kinda hard, but not too brittle. They'll do, but I like carbon-Tex much better. Good picture Alex.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Donnyboat

If you ever get to use carbon fibre, drag washers, use Cal`s grease with them, or a teflon baced grease, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Walleye Guy

Thanks Don.  My intention with this reel is to get some time fishing it as-is (original condition) and then possibly later switch to the different drag washers.