Spool Sadness 6500C!!!!

Started by thorhammer, April 04, 2022, 03:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Sadness!!! Finally starting messing around with CT conversion on my 1974 6500C. I deline and find the spool is cracked in four places on the tailplate side. I had only used it jigging a few times. It had about 75 yds of braid on it when i got it, and i had topped with 20 mono at the time. When I switched it to jigging I cut back most of the mono and topped with 100 yds of metered. Yah I know, three kinds of line is sketchy, but intended use was dropping straight down in 80 feet or less for stripers under ten pounds. Fifty yards of line would satisfy this. In any case, the spool deformed like mono on a plastic spool. I've never even heard of an Abu spool deforming in this manner. Maybe a flaw in the metal somewhere.

In any case, I now need a spool. I don't know Abu part numbers like I know Penn; can anyone tell me what part number will work here (Bob prolly has it memorized).

This one is a sleeper and I didn't intend to do an ultracast bearing-spooled upgrade on it, but I guess i would if no other option. I'd rather save all that for a full build with Rocket plates and Zangi parts.

Breadfan

It's like opening a can of worms...

Breadfan

I'm putting together a 5000 I had taken apart and had to order a few parts, now I'm thinking of a CT cage for it. It never stops. I take it your 6500C is a flatside with the bearings in the side plates?

thorhammer

ReelFishingProblems

John,

What's the serial number?

Nick

thorhammer

Shouldve taken a pic. Back home now. But 74 something.