Penn 130ST

Started by TheBandit, April 04, 2022, 05:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBandit

Hello Guys,
           I am trying to get part# 50 (Shield) off of the gear stud. Is this supposed to come right off or is there a trick? It wiggles, not corroded but can't seem to get it off. Thanks

handi2

It will push or pry off.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

TheBandit

OK I will keep trying. Thank You

TheBandit

I was able to pry it off. Didn't want to break anything. Now if only a couple frozen screws would let loose. Kroil, corrosionx and heat nothing

handi2

Most of the time the head of the screw is corroded in. Hopefully it will break off so you can remove the stud.

Keith
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bill B

I've had great success with acetone/transmission mixed 50/50. And a couple heat/cold cycles (toaster oven at 350 and freezer).  The Boss just takes a propane torch and heats the screw red hot.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

TheBandit

The last blast with blowtorch did it. At least I can get right sideplate off.

TheBandit

Almost a week of soaking and heating and I finally got all screws out. The 6 screws holding the stand to frame were with red loctite. Is that usually used there?

Bill B

Glad you got the screws out.  Never heard of locktite on a fishing reel.  Must have been done by a shade tree mechanic.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

handi2

I'm sure he is referring to the reel seat ((stand) screws. They  have Loctite on them.

If the rod clamp bolts do not come loose with a nut driver I barely use a combination wrench, if they don't move I stop right then. They are brass and will easily break. It's almost impossible to get the broken piece out without ruining the frame.

Keith
Gulf Breeze, FL

TheBandit

Yes the reel seat screws had the loctite. I did get them out. The two bolts came out with a wrench they weren't bad. I was just going to grease the 6 seat screws. Will they hold without loctite? If I do use loctite should I use blue or red? Thanks Guys.

Anthony

handi2

Quote from: TheBandit on April 14, 2022, 04:07:25 PMYes the reel seat screws had the loctite. I did get them out. The two bolts came out with a wrench they weren't bad. I was just going to grease the 6 seat screws. Will they hold without loctite? If I do use loctite should I use blue or red? Thanks Guys.

Anthony

Per Alan Tani grease under the Reel seat and the screws per Alan's tutorial. It will stop further corrosion.

This will help waterproof test area.
Gulf Breeze, FL