Shimano Calcutta 700s

Started by Squidh90, April 05, 2022, 02:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squidh90

Hey everyone, I have the opportunity to buy a Calcutta 700s for a little over a 100. Especially for the east coast guys do you think this reel would be a good investment as an 8nbait/ heaver reel? It'd mostly be used off piers for cobia and maybe in the surf from time to time. Thanks in advance for any advice.

handi2

Yes that would be a great reel for your purpose. Just get a Carbontex drag set from Smooth Drag.

It's a wide reel so be careful when casting.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Breadfan

That sounds like a great deal and I'd be all over it!

Squidh90

Thanks for the responses. Looks like it's a good deal so far but wondering how this compares to a Daiwa slosh as far as handling? People say it's a very wide reel but I'm wondering how this affects its casting. Thanks again.

Jim Fujitani

I've got two of them somewhere in my garage.  Replaced them with Torques.  If you know how to cast, a 1 1/2 ounce jig head will fly out of sight.  I originally bought them for tossing swimbaits for stripers and halibut in SF Bay off our boat.

thorhammer

Grab it, and if you don't like it I'll buy it from you. It was a std for big fish when it came out. I have one in parts I need to get after at some point.

John

thorhammer

Youre from Va and talking about 8nbait...you fishing OBX/NagsHead/Jennette's?

John

Squidh90

I ended up purchasing the reel for $100 and tax. Practiced casting with it a bit and liked it so far. John, I'm usually fishing Va beach pier or Bogue inlet pier. I'm hoping to make it out to some of the Chesapeake bay piers for cobia this year too, which is why I purchased the reel.

thorhammer

Sweet! Hope it works out. I get to Bogue once in a while. The one I have is a coffee can mess i got as part of an estate sale. Looks like it may have gotten too close to a shop heater- the plastic clicker guts in the left plate are melted into a pile and LW assembly is missing. Maybe more. I have to get my head right to pile into that job lol.

John

Squidh90

Well that sounds like an interesting rainy day project. I also believe it was you who actually sent me my first few pins and king rigs when I started pin rigging off Bogue. So I did want to thank you again for that.

thorhammer

oh yeah- forgot that! got more if needed.

Squidh90

Thanks for the offer, but I have plenty of pin rigging tackle now. Definitely one of my favorite fishing styles.