Penn 80tw…Please Help!!

Started by Maverick121114, April 05, 2022, 07:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maverick121114

Aloha and Howzit all from the big island of Hawaii!

I am new here and new to working on reels.I have a Penn 80tw which I got from my uncle I use to fish for onos(wahoo). It worked ok for a while but started acting up. The preset would spin with the handle letting the line free spool. So I took a crack at rebuilding it. I opened her up and found the bearing in the cam was frozen up.  All the other bearings were good so I added a set of duradrags and replaced the bearing thinking I would be good to go. Put it all back together and the preset barely seems to work now. If i tighten the Preset the drag lever gets stiffer but doesn't add any drag. The handle also now cranks with the spool as line comes out. I've gone over the schematic over and over thinking I've missed something. I've tried the four Belleville washers in every different arrangement and still no luck. I did notice some marring on the cam faces and tried cleaning them up a bitt with light sandpaper but no help. Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. My apologize for the long winded unclear explanation. Much mahalos

Bill B

Maverick, I can help you, but I'm sure someone will be along to offer some guidance.  In the meantime, please go to the Welcome section and introduce yourself.

Bill, SoCal mountains.
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Gfish

Welcome Maverick!
 That's a myriad of issues. Not a lever-drag expert, but is the cam in right-side up? That was my first self-caused problem when servicing my Accurate LD. Cam should be pulling the spool towards the drag plate as lever is pushed forward. As Bill mentioned, better qualified members should be along to help.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Maverick121114

Gfish, double checked just to be sure, as drag advances cam pushes bearing out, I assume pushing the main shaft down onto the drag washers. Bill B, thanks will go to the welcome page.

handi2

If the preset dial is spinning it's broken.

The nub or key on the back that turns the preset parts is probably broken off.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Maverick121114

Figured I'd add some photos of my 90000 reassembly. Maybe someone can spot something I am doing wrong. Handle still cranks the spool in both directions. Is there a measurement I can use to check the height of the Belleville washer?()()sorry looks like they uploaded in random order. You can also seem the marring in the cam assembly.8E3EC011-54C8-47F2-ADCA-81EBA05AF456.jpeg0F9B74AB-5848-4745-81A8-DDF09F7B732D.jpeg16D052B2-2087-4E74-BA7F-A474E5B287A2.jpeg5C25A7EC-FC9F-4E18-83FD-EE083F1681C6.jpeg34BD37C1-2A4B-46B7-A872-245C76A84E27.jpeg12D5D7ED-93CA-468A-890D-EB960CC71B46.jpeg     

handi2

Try the spring washers like this.

(())

If you already have haven't.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Maverick121114

Handi2, it was worth a try but no change, thanks for the suggestion though

Wompus Cat

Check under Here or on the backside  for the Disc .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Maverick121114

Wompus cat. I put brand new duradrags

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Maverick121114 on April 06, 2022, 05:38:17 AMWompus cat. I put brand new duradrags

IF you tighten or Push the Drag Lever forward and you get  No Drag tension then maybe your missing a shim or the wrong thickness of Bearing ???? Or the Drag Lever Mechanism is Stripped or the Tang that moves the cam / gear  is broken off (as Handi mentioned ) . ...bout all there is to it . The preset on those can be tricky as well if you change the bearings or thicknesses of drags and may have to play with tightening the preset and or do some custom sanding on the shims . Without having the Reel in my hands dats all I got .
I have only built a few of these and there are lots of peeps here with more experience maybe will chime in .
Good Luck

handi2

You can clearly that the tang is not broken. The 117dn drag washer is not on that side.

Reply on what you know.

Keith
Gulf Breeze, FL

Maverick121114

Wen u guys are referring to shims, where are those? I will admit there are two very very thin washers and not sure where they belong and don't see them on the schematic.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: handi2 on April 06, 2022, 04:17:06 PMYou can clearly that the tang is not broken. The 117dn drag washer is not on that side.

Reply on what you know.

Keith

I did .

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Maverick121114 on April 06, 2022, 04:32:02 PMWen u guys are referring to shims, where are those? I will admit there are two very very thin washers and not sure where they belong and don't see them on the schematic.

Sometimes shims are used to take out slack in the drag washer array and or side play somewhere in the Reel . (This is in General mechanical applications an may not apply to your Specific Reel BUT if they were in there to start with ......just sayin )
If you can post some pix of them it might help .