Penn International 80 Drag Set Up

Started by mwgdc31, April 05, 2022, 08:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mwgdc31

Have an original Penn International 80.  Replaced the drag system with the new  dura drag.  The drag is smooth and reel functions well except... cannot get freespool without very low drag setting.
I may very well have installed the Belleville washers incorrectly.
But before I open up the reel I was looking for advice on the washers.
I have seen the (()) configuration as the one to use for more drag with freespool.
I have also seen that some people recommend additional flat washers or shims?
Can someone advise on a combination/configuration that works best.
We are tuna fishing in Northeast, need freespool to set baits but fish with drag at strike.
Thanks in advance!
Also, is grease recommended on the drag washers and if so what kind?

RickC

Sounds like the same problem I'm having with my little vintage INTL 30 with dura-drag.  I'm thinking its a Cam problem. I'll keep you updated if I figure it out. 
From what I've read people grease the drags with shimano drag grease or cals.  I use cals; put a good layer on then wipe it off.   You can also leave it dry.

handi2

Just by opening, cleaning, and oiling the bearings with TSI 301 I get 30 seconds of freespool.

The original 30's have pressed in shields. I have my luck using a razor blade then a medical scapula to pry up and remitted shields.

The TW series came with locking rings you can remove with a fish hook.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

RickC

If I take the 30 in free spool and turn the adjustment nut 1 1/2 turns; the drag will just start to touch. Pretty much the very beginning of no free spool. If I move the drag lever to strike I only have 10-12 lbs of drag at strike.  At full  its about 14lbs.  Very weak Belleville or not enough cam curve? 

There's is no set combination (()), ()() or ((()). The shims can range from .005 thick to .020 thick and they go between the bearing and your bellville springs.  Like this:
bearing side ||(())pinion side.  You just have to pay attention to your stack height dimension.  To much stack height and you loose adjustment screw travel.  I like to have it so 1 to 1 1/2  turns on the adjustment screw gives me the 25% of drag I require at strike.  If changing bellville orientation doesn't work then add shims. 

RickC

Update with my old intl 30.  After many attempts of changing bearings and bellevilles; I ordered a new eccentric cam.  The old cam was worn down .035.  Huge difference between the two cams.  After changing my bellevilles and shims 6 times.  I ended up with:  Bearing ((()) pinion gear.  The stack height measured .240. And I thru in a bearing sleeve.  I'm now getting over 20 lbs of drag at strike and still have good free spool.  The only thing I don't like; is all of my drag comes a little early. It all happens with just 3/4's of a turn on the adjustment screw.  On a graph I think my drag in relation to my adjustment would look like this /    . It's not where I want it but its very fishable.