Best way to remove circle clip on the clutch washer

Started by Breadfan, April 07, 2022, 03:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breadfan

When I pry up my circle clip on the clutch washer of my abu's, I deform it. I know this tells me the metal is not good, and I have installed one in my Rocket Reel that is tournament quality and made from a better metal, but I'd like to know how to remove these things on my normal Abus and keep them from deforming so I can just re-use them. They get out of round and they don't look right when I re-install them. The part I'm referring to is 13084. Any special tool out there I need to know about?

Keta

I have never had that problem.  I use a small flat screwdriver, get one end out and roll the retainer off.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Breadfan

I had one so tight yesterday that I just mangled it. It just would not come off easily. But this isn't the first time so I'll either figure it out or keep a bunch of them on hand. I don't have a problem with the better ones I have been getting, they keep their shape.

foakes

I was always taught by old timers (now I am one) to just use a sharp fish hook to get it started —- then just run a small screwdriver or pick around the clip to lift it out.

Quick & simple.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

I will add that i tap down the part in this case 13472 a little that usually frees up the ring .
    Some times i push on the end of the ring and chase it around , again freeing up the ring .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Breadfan

You all are very helpful. It is very much appreciated.

Donnyboat

I managed to get a pin , with a knob on one end, out of the wifes sowing machine draw, I made a good point on the end with, my bright boy, that fits in behind the C clip nice, then run a pick around it to ease it out, it is possibly best to do it inside a paper bag, so it cant, head for the never never, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Alan Matsuno

handi2

Just a small flat head screwdriver as mentioned.

Place one finger over it and pop it off.

Nothing fancy is needed. You just have to be smarter than the clip..!

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Lunker Larry

Small screwdriver usually or a boxcutter blade to get it started.
Also use the blade to remove stuck drag washers
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?