I bought Googan's 110N

Started by PacRat, April 09, 2022, 12:10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PacRat

I bought this 110N one fleabay. The exterior looked really clean so I pulled the trigger. It came in today and as soon as I turned the crank I knew it was more than just dried up vintage grease. Now I need to start another parts list for Fred. Does anyone have a photo of where this spring goes or if it even belongs in there?

-Mike

oldmanjoe

You got it rite the first time , it does not belong there .
 That spring part number is not in this reel no how no way,in the way of the spool.......
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wompus Cat

That spring looks like the Spring that goes on the Condensor of a  1959 2.5 Horse Power Briggs and Stratton Lawnmower Engine I lost back in the Day . It has been Modified a Wee Bit but sure looks like it would fit with turnin another coil on it .

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

foakes

Oh!

That is where I lost the spring for the accelerator return on my Honda 6.5!

Just make a grocery list of what you need, Mike —-

I will send it out.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

:D  Do you need a picture of the hula hoop spring and part number ?

#  103-340
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

PacRat

Thanks Joe, I completely missed the hula hoop spring when I looked at the schematic. I guess I was fixated on that goofy coil spring. It had the rotor nut and washer over the top of it so it just looked like the coil spring was just sort of skewed out of place. I started tugging on it and could tell it wasn't budging. There's no hula hoop spring rattling around in there either.

oldmanjoe

Hula hoop spring    AKA  switch pin spring   Just in case some one is looking for it  !!

PacRat

Now that makes sense! After you showed me the schematic, I ran out to the bench and made one. I was fairly close (for just seeing the schematic) but the spring stock was too heavy. It fit but a little too much force.

oldmanjoe

IT is a lite spring wire About .018 wire .

foakes

Got plenty...

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jgp12000

Did this Googan also state the 110N was ready to fish?

Gfish

Should be interesting to see what's in the gearbox. Then again, the way these are built, "the googan" may never have had to open it.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

PacRat

The gearbox is pretty clean. Looks like some of the original grease has been evacuated and the bearing feels a bit dry. Seems like they mostly just monkey with the winding cup and bail judging by the rash on the bail screws.

I looked back at the listing and the seller said they hadn't 'fished it'...I wonder if that means they hadn't 'fixed it' also?? I've learned from Tommy and Fred about steering clear of beaters and this one looked like a low mileage gem in the photos. At first I thought it was just a little stiff with old grease but then I felt the grind  and the bail had no snap to it. It would only close half way.

The guy hadn't listed any other fishing gear so I'm assuming he picked it up at a garage sale or something. It's interesting just how critical that hula-hoop spring is and it's difficult to asses the rest of the reel without the bail trip functioning properly. The gearbox feels pretty good without the winding cup attached...maybe only a bearing required there?

Midway Tommy

At least the exterior looks like it wasn't abused too bad. You've won half the battle right there. Fred can easily rescue you on any needed or missing parts, they're not very complicated and bearings are an easy fix.

I'm thinking your yard/garage sale scenario may be on the money. It probably didn't work and some novice that had no idea the wire spring was missing Rube Goldberged something to suffice just to get rid of it.

You'll no doubt get it top notch, Mike. ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

Just me, but if there's no significant noise or rotor wobble, I'd prolly just grease the ball bearing and see if it's acceptable, as it's not as critical as a spool bearing on a baitcaster.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!