Year labels for frozen fish

Started by pjstevko, April 04, 2022, 12:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

My wife and I took an inventory of both of our freezers today and found some fish of unknown age that was in bottom of the freezer. It was bft that was professional processed and looked ok but we reserved it for grilling to make tuna salad with. If it has bad odor when we thaw it we'll toss it.

It got my thinking though.... Why don't processors add a date sticker to the packages as well as the species stickers?

So I went online and found my own stickers.

https://instocklabels.com/product/large-year-2022-stickers-1-5-round/

The stickers are rated for -20° and even states in the description "for use on frozen food packages"

I know I shouldn't be keeping fish longer than a year but sometimes it happens.

I figure for $20 they were worth a try and with 500 in the roll I can share!

Wompus Cat

I use a mark so lot.

works at all Temps .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Brewcrafter

No shame in wanting to be responsible about the resource we harvest.  Year tags are a good idea.  I know it is especially tough if you have a chest style freezer (we used to have one) and it is easy for items to get "buried" in the bottom.  We are truly fortunate to have RSW on boats and professional level processing that while not inexpensive, preserves our catch at levels that would not have been possible decades ago. - john

Rancanfish

There is no such thing as year old fish in my freezer. Sorry no help from the peanut gallery.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

El Pescador

Quote from: Rancanfish on April 04, 2022, 09:10:28 PMThere is no such thing as year old fish in my freezer. Sorry no help from the peanut gallery.

or canned fish!!!  From what I hear :cf

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

pjstevko

I guess I'm just TOO GOOD AT FISHING  ;D  :al  :fish

sabaman1

PJ, thanks for that tip. I have found fish also in my freezer of unknown vintage where the seal has broke and turned the fish into chum. Recently I've been feeding those to my trees, they seem to love it.
JIM

Cor

Old problem in my freezer as well.   I keep filleted cut up fish in meal size portions, all vacuumed & dated as well as whole frozen fish, some with guts and all and some without.

Chest freezers are the best but hard to search and find stuff, sometimes need to unpack everything to see what is at the bottom and use my head torch, even during the day.

Result is that I've on a few occasion eaten one year old fish, not wanting to waste it.   Other then the thought, nothing was wrong with it.

We are told 6 month max in the deepfreeze and I am sure that is good advice......

Whole fish guts and all keeps and tastes best.

I just cut a whole fish caught Nov. 2021, was the oldest and looked near perfect. :)
Cornelis

jigmaster501

Stickers only work on dry bags, any changes in humidity like after adding fish to the bag will inhibit sticker sticking...

Sharpies work very well. Fish can last longer than a year in the fridge. The key is proper handling from catch to freezing, proper sanitation, proper evisceration and rapid freezing. After that stability of the freezer temperature will make the difference in quality as the ice crystal structures will remain small, round and non jagged.

Rancanfish

Quote from: El Pescador on April 04, 2022, 09:17:12 PM
Quote from: Rancanfish on April 04, 2022, 09:10:28 PMThere is no such thing as year old fish in my freezer. Sorry no help from the peanut gallery.

or canned fish!!!  From what I hear :cf

Wayne

Good one bud!  I am fortunate to live near the dock now!  I get the freshest lingcod filets.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.